April 2013 Moms
Options

Newborns and Baby Wipes

I just read/found out that apparently, it is not recommended to use commercial baby wipes on babies under one month of age, presumably because their skin is so sensitive.

Is this common knowledge??? I had no idea, and now I'm worried because I thought I was pretty prepared by getting the sensitive skin alcohol-free wipes, but apparently you're not supposed to use even those!

S+TM moms want to weigh in on this? Did any other FTMs not know this (or am I the only stupid one)?

Anniversary  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Newborns and Baby Wipes

• Options
    Unless your baby has a reaction, I'm pretty sure they're fine. I used them with DS from day one, without a problem.
    carrie ~ me-at-carrie.cc ~ 4/21/2007
    * blog * first baby blog * baby 2.0 blog * twitter *

IMG_0578

• Options
    Ive never heard this before. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I saw a post something like this a while back, maybe on the 3rd tri board?? I had never heard of this until then. I used regular wipes on DD and her bum is just fine :-) so i will be using regular wipes on this LO. ...the generic kind *shifty eye
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've never heard that.  We used sensitive/fragrance free wipes from day 1 with DD without issue. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't know it until after I had DS1 and the nurse told me. We just used little wash clothes and even now we alternate between wipes and cloth wipes since his skin is so tender. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I hadn't heard that until recently. With my daughter (who just turned 2) we used sensitive wipes on her tushie from day one. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    D has a reaction to anything scented, so we go fragrance free for the most part. Other than that, if he still had a reaction I I would have just used water on a towel.
  • Options
    They provided us with commercial wipes at the hospital.  We used the sensitive skin ones for DS and then once we started CD'ing moved to the cloth ones with California baby diaper spray and eventually back to the sensitive commercial ones.  All
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I used commercial wipes with DD too, I always used natural or sensative in the newborn stage though.
    BabyFruit Ticker fallfun
  • Options
    I haven't heard this either. I would just keep an eye out for any sort of reaction if you are really concerned. 
  • Options
    We used wash clothes with DS1 and plan to do the same with this LO. DS1 had very sensitive skin all around.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    We never had a problem with wipes. We used fragrance free ones. This time we're doing cloth diapers and cloth wipes.
  • Options
    Our hospital provided us with soft cloth wipes, which was especially nice for dealing with the meconium, but we started using commercial wipes as soon as we got home. We used, and still use, sensitive skin wipes and we've never had a problem.

• Options
    I used them from day one. I know my hospital does not provide wipes, just cloth type things to use. I found it nearly impossible to get those 1st few poops cleaned with out the wipes. My girls are healthy 2 and 3 year olds so I am not worried. If baby has
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I hope that they are okay to use cause that's all i have. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We're doing cloth wipes and water.

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all baby wipes alcohol free?  I know in my area daycares can't even have hand sanitizer on site because there is a risk of children becoming intoxicated from osmosis.  Doing our CPR certification the firemen w
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
    You fill me!!! Z! My BFP Chart
  • Options

OK, sounds like it's only an issue if baby has super sensitive skin. Thanks for all the responses; I don't feel so stupid now!

And Bink720, I have no idea; I've actually never looked at the ingredients (materials?) of baby wipes other than the o

Anniversary  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"