November 2012 Moms
Options

That PPD/PPA thread....(long)

I came on here last night hoping there was something on here about pdd or pda and couldn't believe someone started a thread.  I had such an awful night and I really feel like I need support.  Right now, DH is having major anxiety issues due to work so I can't really turn to him...it would put him over the edge.  All I told him was that I barely slept due to anxiety and of course (like many of your LO's this week!) DD was up every two hours last night. So when I finally did fall asleep, it wasn't for long. I feel like I can't even relax to nap. 

A few weeks ago some anxiety issues I had previous to my pregnancy reared their ugly heads again.  Being that I've had it before I'm not even sure it would be classified as PPA.  .It came up during my pregnancy but I was able to work through it but now it's getting bad again.  I was SO afraid this would happen.  Many years ago now and then I would have this terrifying fear that I would flip out and go nuts and do something terrible like some of those news stories you hear.  The first time it happened I was so paralyzed with fear that I just went to bed.  I was too afraid to talk about it.  Turns out, it's actually a "thing" and reacting that way just makes the thoughts stronger. I just thought I was losing it.  So over the years I was able to deal with it on my own. It wasn't a constant thing.   But now that I have my own little baby, the fear is sooo much stronger.  I feel like a complete waste and I feel so bad that she's stuck with me for a mom.  I got a book called Dropping the Baby and Other Scary Thoughts that deals with this issue.  It repeats again and again that if these thoughts cause you distress then you have nothing to worry about.  That helped me for about a day.  Then yesterday the anxiety came creeping in again.  I just feel like such a bad person for having scary thoughts at all.  I picture myself going to the doctor and them taking my baby away and locking me up.  I'm trying to get up the nerve to talk to my sister about it.  (My mom is SUCH a huge worrier that it would just add to my anxiety).  But I'm so afraid to burden her and maybe freak her out.   I'm also trying to get up the nerve to see my OB.  But then I think I'll need meds and will have to stop breastfeeding which will break my heart.  This is all really getting to me.  I've lost weight and my appetite sucks.  I miss feeling happy and wanting to do things.  I was very anxious worrying about DD the first 2 months and thought that was bad but this is far worse.  I'm home until September and I'm afraid I won't enjoy this time.  I feel like every other mom would be happy and it's pathetic how I am.  I just feel so guilty and ashamed.  Every time DD smiles at me I just feel so undeserving.  Thanks for reading.

Re: That PPD/PPA thread....(long)

• Options
    First off, good for you for posting this! This board is such a great tool! I don't have any personal experience to share but I have had bad days that are full of tears and make me feel like a bad mommy. So I feel I can at least respond. You are not pathet
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank  you...all I told him was that I was anxious.  I didn't want to go into detail why.  I'm afraid he'll freak out.  He said he can't understand why I'd be so anxious since I'm not working.  But I know what you mean.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageshella923:
    Thanknbsp; you...all I told him was that I was anxious.nbsp; I didn't want to go into detail why.nbsp; I'm afraid he'll
  • Options
    imageredwood807:

I am glad you have posted. It' sounds flippant but in the words of GI Joe, Knowing is half the battle. The fact th

• Options

I don't know exactly how you feel; however, I am going through a similar situation. I have been struggling for awhile now. After reading that many other great mommies on this board are suffering, as well; I decided to make my own appointment. It is sch

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageJKVogt:

I don't know exactly how you feel; however, I am going through a similar situation. I have been struggling for awhile

• Options
    What a brave step to post here. I'm sorry you are going through this right now and feel so alone. I don't have much to share that hasn't been said by other girls, but I think calling the pop and getting a referral to a therapist is a great idea. Yes, it d
  • Options

Have you ever been on a plane?

You know that safety talk they give before you take off?  They always tell you in the event of loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will drop down from ceiling compartments.  Then what do they say?

• Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this, believe me I have been there, the first month was the hardest month of my life I felt like I didnt deserve my beautiful baby girl and that she deserved such a better mom than me, failing at breast feeding even inte
  • Options

First off, good for you!!! You are already taking steps. The nerves are telling you you are making a smart choice.

If you have a hard time telling DH, show him this thread. Men are visual creatures. 

Lastly, you can always come here. <

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageredwood807:
    imageironmom5:<

• Options
    Thanks so much ladies. It really helps. I'm still struggling with what to do but I will let you know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"