Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

STTN Situation

Ok, so before you start to read, I'm not complaining - I'm just seeking some advice.

My LO has recently started STTN - I'm not sure if this is going to stick or if it is just a fluke but either way - I'm thankful. 

But here's the problem, when I use to feed him in the MOTN - he would sleep til 8am or 8:30am. I'm not a morning person so even 8am is early for me but I won't complain.

The past two nights our LO STTN and now he is getting up at 7am! I know that pushing his bedtime later is not a solution but honestly I would rather get up for 20 minutes in the MOTN and get 1-1.5 more hours of sleep in the morning then get up early and stay in bed all night.

Did anyone else's LO start getting up earlier once they started STTN? 

Our LO also seems sleepier during the day now that he is STTN. Odd.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: STTN Situation

• Options
    How long has he been STTN? Maybe if its only been a few days he will adjust himself. Also, daylight savings is coming up, maybe that will fix the hour. Other than that, maybe you go to bed a little earlier so you still get same amount of sleep?
  • Options
    Have you tried putting him back to bed after the 7am feeding?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm kind of with uconn on this. But that being said, have you tried putting him to sleep after the 7am feeding?

Alternatively, I'm bedsharing with DS and around 2 or 3 he starts kicking me but he's still asleep. I get up and dream feed him and we go back to bed without the kicking. Maybe you could do something similar and dream feed to get your extra time in the morning.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageuconnhuskie007:
    im not trying to throw stones here but youre craaaaaaazy if you think that sleeping through the night and waking at 7am is earlier, and expecting to have LO sleep even longer in the am.  Hell, id consider getting up at 5am STTN for sure (which is what my LO does 90% of the time).  I mean no snark is saying this, but what is it that you do with your time during the day where waking up at 8am is early??

This. Just be thankful that yours doesn't wake up at 5 am every morning. It's fine for work days, because I have to be at work at 6am... but I'd LOVE for her to sleep in until 7am on the weekends. 

That said... the only two suggestions I have is to try and put him back down after the 7am feeding or try a later bedtime. In my experience though, the later bedtime doesn't make any difference. She's awake around the same time of morning no matter what I do. 

• Options
    How old is your LO? Mine STTN sometimes and he set his own bedtime at 6:30 pm. He gets up at 6:30 am. Before he started this schedule, we were trying to make him stay up later and sleep in later and it was not working at all.

If your LO is sleeping well, don't change it up. I even get up early on weekends, and you get used to it. My LO woke up an hour early today, so I was up for the day and doing laundry before 6am on a Saturday! It's not worth rocking the boat so you can get a little more sleep in the morning.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

After DS eats around 4 AM, it's hit or miss whether he goes back to sleep. That's a bit too early for my liking. On days when he seems in or out, we snuggle in the guest bed together and I feed again at 5 which most of the time will help him sleep until 6. I'd love for him to continue sleeping 4-7 or something like that, but it's just not happening. 

Most days we're up by 6, then he's back to sleep for his first nap around 7:30-8. 

Oh, and he doesn't STTN, he's still waking for a feed between 12-1 with a 7:30-8 bedtime. 

-LJ
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Yeah this happened to us too. Now that he's STTN (for the most part) he pushed his bedtime up to 5:30-6pm and wakes up at 5:20 on the dot every morning. Honestly I am thrilled with this new schedule and am terrified to do even one little thing differently for fear of messing it up.

I can sympathize with you though...I was so not a morning person before my baby. Can't believe I actually used to sleep in till 10 or 11, and now I consider 7am sleeping in! The only thing that keeps me motivated is my little guy is happiest in the morning, so that's nice to wake up to. And a coffee maker with an automatic timer, so you can set it up the night before and your coffee is magically ready when you get up. Sorry, none of this is really a solution....but I would suggest finding ways to help yourself cope with the early mornings rather than mess with the baby's sleep habits.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm just going to say 8 am is really early for us too.. Dh and I work till 12 am some nights.. My normal work schedule was 4pm1130pm so bed before 1 is just unheard of on a typical night so since I've had dd it still hasn't changed. We usually sleep 1am till 1130 or 12 pm. No solution there just saying that different lifestyles make 8 am seem early.. When dh works at 7 am I will pull emmalyn into bed with me and side lay nurse and that buys me a couple hours longer than if I put her in bed after nursing or got up to nurse her in the bright sunlight.

• Options
    Your LO wakes up at 7am and you want to make it later? Really? My kids wake up at 5am each morning. I'd take 7am.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageKemare20:
    6/7 AM is a biologically normal time for infants and toddlers to wake up. Not much you can do about it.

This is pretty much what I was thinking.  No matter what time my little guy goes to bed he has NEVER slept later than 7 am.  I'm okay with that...it's just part of being a mom.  Gotta take the bad with the good.  

Josh + Meagan 06.12.10/Baby J 11.8.12

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    About 2 months after our LO was born we started having her sleep in her crib because we new it would be easier to wean her off sleeping in our room sooner rather than later. She slept pretty much the same as she had right when we brought her home. Up every 23 hours then she'd be hungry.
    After about a week of that she would sttn from about 7:3011pm then about midnight730 or 8am.
    After she turned 3months old we decided if she started to roll over we would not want her arms couped up in a swaddle so we quit using that. Then she was up every 23 hours again.
    Our Pedi suggested doing a wake up routine like we do our nighttime routine. Every night around 7:30pm we do nighttime lotion, change her intoto her nightie, read a book, then we rock her to sleep. She usually stays asleep until approx 5530am. I will feed her then she will be slightly awake like she wants to be up for the day but I keep the lights out except her night light and rock her back to sleep. She usually then will wake up anywhere between 78. That's when I do our morning routine of morning lotion, changed her clothes for the day, and turn lights on. It's amazing!
    I realize all babies aren't like this but an idea if you didn't have nighttime and daytime routines set up! Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"