June 2012 Moms
Options

DS absolutly HATES

DS absolutely hates having his diaper changed. I'm talking full out bloody murder screaming, thrashing, flailing and everything. He will come right to me to get it taken off but the second he sees that new one he flips. He doesn't have a rash or anything. He tries to crawl away. I've tried changing him standing up, inconvenient, and it did work for about 2 days until he figured it out. Another mom told me to pin him down with my feet, but he's so strong and so determined I think he may hurt himself trying to get away. I also tried a few toys that he loves and put them away just for diaper time but he cannot be distracted. It's getting to traumatic experience levels and I'm not sure what to do.

Re: DS absolutly HATES

• Options
    Same thing here. Only I do think she has a small diaper rash so I've been putting cream on it. But it's seriously like trying to wrestle a rhino to get a diaper on! No advice for ya but I feel your pain. haha
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • Options
    hmmm.. have you tried letting him play with something he's not typically allowed to play with?  For instance, DS loves to play with his hairbrush while being changed or he loves holding his lotion bottle while I put lotion on him....
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1: May 2011
    BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
    DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
    Me: 36 | DH: 39
    Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
    BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
    July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
    August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
    11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same here..no rash here, though....I'm starting to hate changing his diaper because it is a fight!
  • Options
    Are your LO's more mobile now? Like crawling and getting around more?  I think maybe they prefer to be on the go and that's why they fight laying still for a few minutes to get their diaper's changed...
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1: May 2011
    BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
    DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
    Me: 36 | DH: 39
    Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
    BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
    July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
    August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
    11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• Options
    imageklasala318:
    hmmm.. have you tried letting him play with something he's not typically allowed to play with?  For instance, DS loves to play with his hairbrush while being changed or he loves holding his lotion bottle while I put lotion on him....
    This! I let DD play with my watch when changing her diaper.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageklasala318:
    Are your LO's more mobile now? Like crawling and getting around more?  I think maybe they prefer to be on the go and that's why they fight laying still for a few minutes to get their diaper's changed...

yes...it doesn't matter what special toy he gets to look at.. He will take the toy and flip over and start crawling as fast as he can...it's a game to him..it's all fun except for if you happen to be changing a messy poopy diaper! 

• Options

Same here except being 6 months pregnant makes it harder to chase after or fight him. I found a new trick this morning(hoping it keeps working). Since I'm pregnant I've been changing him on the ground. This morning I put on blues clues(one of his favorite shows) and that kept his attention. I did the same thing with my oldest(7) when he became mobile and fought me during diaper changes. I know it won't always work but at least during a dirty diaper hopefully. 

I'm not sure how you ladies feel about tv but if you don't want traumatic experiences you might want to try it out. I know I said I wouldn't with my 1st but I gave in and was instantly glad I did. It helped with my stress levels.

Also, OP the pinning him down with your feet won't hurt him. Might make him upset at you but my oldest was a walker at 6 months and was the same way as your son. I had to pin him down before I tried the TV thing or we couldn't even get the diaper off. It was a battle but pinning him down at least got the diaper off and him clean with a new diaper on. 

SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

imageklasala318:

This works great for us. Spray bottle of wipe solution is my go to. My cell phone is the last resort, he's otherwise never allowed to even see that.  The other thing that works for me is to say funny words like "buzz" and "zipp" and get him really laughing, then spring the change on him and keep going with the funny noises, or songs that I've made up and tickle him.  Its quite a production.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DS started to do this too... I no longer change him on his changing table... he does great on our bed under a fan... and I even pulled out his activity gym so he could play with those toys and watch the lights/listen to music as I change him...I also sing and act completely silly if need be during a diaper change... I am thinking these may be only short term fixes though...:)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageklasala318:

This is what we are doing.  DS loves to play with the lotion bottle... but I have tried a hat, shoes, new toys,etc.  Our new thing is pulling to standing on the changing table... AHH!

• Options
    imagedrbethc:

imageklasala318:
    Are your LO's more mobile now? Like crawling and getting around more?&nbsp; I think maybe they prefer to be on the go and that's why they fight laying still for a few minutes to get their diaper's changed...

&nbsp;

yes...it doesn't matter what special toy he gets to look at.. He will take the toy and flip over and start crawling as fast as he can...it's a game to him..it's all fun except for if you happen to be changing a messy poopy diaper!&nbsp;

Ugh same here. Usually, at some point, I have one ankle in my fist, DS is trying to crawl away screaming at me with some toy I tried to occupy him with. I hate diaper changes. I, too, end up putting a diaper on while he's standing. More times that I'd like to admit, actually. It's awful!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Good to know I'm not alone. Just a phase, hopefully it won't last too long or we'll be trying to potty train early.
  • Options
    SigirSigir member
    imagekhill86:
    imagedrbethc:

imageklasala318:
    Are your LO's more mobile now? Like crawling and getting around more?&nbsp; I think maybe they prefer to be on the go and that's why they fight laying still for a few minutes to get their diaper's changed...

&nbsp;

yes...it doesn't matter what special toy he gets to look at.. He will take the toy and flip over and start crawling as fast as he can...it's a game to him..it's all fun except for if you happen to be changing a messy poopy diaper!&nbsp;

Ugh same here. Usually, at some point, I have one ankle in my fist, DS is trying to crawl away screaming at me with some toy I tried to occupy him with. I hate diaper changes. I, too, end up putting a diaper on while he's standing. More times that I'd like to admit, actually. It's awful!!!!

STM here... My dd is the same way and I am going to buy some pull ups this weekend bc they are so much easier to use during this phase. I change all pee diapers standing up w pull ups. So easy.
  • Options
    My boy loves getting the diaper off but after he's free and I'm reaching for the wipes or the other diaper he is turned and crawling away lol. Let him crawl around area times for habit without his diaper but learned after the first couple wet sock spots on the carpet that it wasn't a good idea... just had to sit on the floor cross legged and use each of my feet to hold his legs down while I changed him... even downlouded a rattle app on my phone to calm him down during the changing... helped some :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"