March 2013 Moms
Options

Inducing

Hi!! FTM here : my due date is march 14th but if I don't get into labor by then , I am scheduling an induction date of march 13th! Does anyone know how they induce you? How long does it usually take? Any information would help!!

Re: Inducing

• Options

You're due 3/14 but you're scheduling an induction 3/13?

As far as the process, it varies by doctors, if you have had any progress (ripening, effacement, dilation) it will change how they approach it.

I was induced with DD, they have me come in at 5:00pm the night before, gave me two Ambien to sleep through the night and then started with Cytotek (similar to Cervadil, helps soften/efface the cervix) at 3:00am. I had no progress (ripening/effacement/dilation) so I was starting from zero, within the hour I was having intense contractions (a known side effect of the Cytotek). My water broke on its own around 1pm, got my epidural, had a small amount of pitocin since my contractions slowed after the epidural and then I was ready to push at 4, DD born at 5:30.  

I have heard some women who are farther along and their bodies are more prepared for labor go in at 6am and just get pitocin and still deliver the same day. Talk with your OB about it. A lot of times it's also up to the hospitals policy, a lot of them won't let you come in for an induction until after 40 weeks without medical necessity proven by your OB. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I mean this in the most helpful sincere way possible, so please don't take it as snarky. 

But you need to take control of your health.  If you get flustered when you're with the doctor, write down these questions before-hand and bring them in with you.  Every doctor is different, and a bunch of strangers on the internet (who aren't doctors or midwives) can't answer these type of questions for you.  Take control of your health and don't be afraid to ask questions or ask why.  Start with asking why you're being induced before your due date. 

TTC #1 since April 2010
    BFP 4/18/12, M/C 4/27/12 at 6w6d
    BFP 7/1/12 - Counting down to our little girl, EDD 3/8/13
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Um I was asking just out of curiosity bc my next doctors appointment isn't till wednesday and I'm getting induced before my due date because I have gd.

Thanks for your help though. Hahahaha
  • Options
    imageluvsdogs2:

I mean this in the most helpful sincere way possible, so please don't take it as snarky. 

But you need to take control of your health.  If you get flustered when you're with the doctor, write down these questions before-hand and bring them in with you.  Every doctor is different, and a bunch of strangers on the internet (who aren't doctors or midwives) can't answer these type of questions for you.  Take control of your health and don't be afraid to ask questions or ask why.  Start with asking why you're being induced before your due date. 

All of this. My doctor said she will induce as early as 39 weeks. It sounded like a normal practice but I know that inducing increases your chances for a c-section and I do not want that. We've scheduled an induction date a week past my due date. My Dr. doesn't think I'll go that far anyways. I'm already dilated to a 2. I would for sure not do induction before your dd if you aren't progressing yet. 

ETA: Okay, you should've mentioned the GD. BTW my mom was induced with my sister and her labor went fast. My aunt was induced with my cousin and she was in painful labor for a while. It's different for everyone.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm being induced tomorrow.  I'm already 3cm and 70% effaced, so I am going in at 7:30am.  My dr told me she will put me on the monitor and depending if I am having any contractions and how dilated I am (I think you have to be around 4cm) she may break my water first, and see if labor kicks in on its own.  If not, I will be started on pitocin.

If you haven't progressed at all, it's possible you will go the night before and be given cervadil or cytotek like PP said, in order to efface your cervix.  However, I have a friend who was induced at 41+weeks with both her babies and she was just started on pitocin and she was 0cm and hardly effaced at all and had two sucessful inductions (althought I'm pretty sure she came very close to a c-section with both).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Before you mentioned the GD I was going to advise avoiding it.  However, I am actually impressed they are pretty much letting you go to your due date.  I have had GD with both of my babies.  It was a very long process with my first.  It was a 42 hour for me.  This time I am hoping its much faster!  If you are already dilating (3cm+) they will probably go straight to pitocin.  If you are not they will likely do cervidil first.  This is the part that took so long for me and I am hoping to avoid this time.  Either way all is forgiven when you hold your sweet baby!  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"