Preemies
Options

Pumping while sick

I have a baby boy that is 10 weeks early and in the NICU. I have recently come down with a cold. Is it safe for him to still have my breast milk or should I pump and dump?

Re: Pumping while sick

• Options
    keep pumping.  Im sure you are already a hand washing machine but just be extra careful to wash well when you are handling your pump parts and bottles.  
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• Options
    If you are taking any meds for it, you should definitely let your NICU know.  They will be able to tell you if it's safe for baby.  Hope you feel better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes! It's important to pump even if you are sick.  Your baby gets immunity from you for anything you are exposed to - so your milk will give him anitbodies to the cold you have.  Especially if you are handling him - he will be exposed to your cold anyway so in case he does get sick, it will help him get better faster - but talk to the NICU nurses as it might be best to stay away from him for a few days until you're better.  Your milk will still help him tho - so keep pumping and save the milk if needed.

Preemie mom! Born 10 weeks early but Mommy and baby are both doing great!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks all! I haven't been to the NICU since I started feeling sick two days ago. It is absolutely killing me to be away from him, but I know what I have is highly contagious because our whole house now has it. His nurse told me over the phone that RSV is real problem right now and assured me that I was doing the right thing by not coming in. It's still very hard being away from him though. He hasn't any of my milk since I have been sick because I had a pretty good supply stocked up at the hospital already. I have saved everything at this point and will run it by the nurses when I take it in. I just don't want to make him sick. Hoping this crud goes away soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"