Baby Showers
Options

Best idea ever!

I am helping with a baby shower that is taking place this weekend (not the host, just helping because the shower ended up being a big production) and the host really wanted to start a little library for the new baby. She had mentioned doing the book instead of a hard thing, and I mentioned that was not well received by most, so she threw out that idea and starting thinking. So she called me today and last night she went to Half Price Books and spent hours searching for children's books that were still in great condition and printed off little stickers to go on the inside for shower guests to write little notes and well wishes for the baby. 

Sorry that was so long, but I was so glad someone threw out the 'book instead of card' thing and used their resources to come up with a perfectly acceptable way to start a library :)

Thought this board might appreciate that someone finally went the less tacky route! 

Re: Best idea ever!

• Options
    That is a great way to do the book thing.  I would have loved receiving this as a new mom, and it doesn't put the burden on your guests.  Fabulous!
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

image1026pumpkin:
    That is a great way to do the book thing.  I would have loved receiving this as a new mom, and it doesn't put the burden on your guests.  Fabulous!
     This!

ETA:  This also ensures no duplicate books! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think that's a really great idea, but I also didn't mind when I was asked to bring a book instead of a card to a baby shower.  Sometimes cute baby shower cards can cost $7 or more and I can find books cheaper than that (where I live, any way) So I liked the idea of spending the money on something useful for the baby.  I can definitely see why it wouldn't go over well with some people though.  
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMandJS:

imagescormier123:
    I think that's a really great idea, but I also didn't mind when I was asked to bring a book instead of a card to a baby shower.  Sometimes cute baby shower cards can cost $7 or more and I can find books cheaper than that (where I live, any way) So I liked the idea of spending the money on something useful for the baby.  I can definitely see why it wouldn't go over well with some people though.  

But the idea is you can ALWAYS do the book instead of a card thing if you so choose. You don't need to be "invited" to do it. Spend your money how you want. I personally LOVE when my kids get books. However, I want people to CHOOSE to buy those for me/my kids. I don't want to be told. Similarly, I often give books as a gift. But that's my prerogative. No one is "telling" me what to buy. 

Gotcha!  That does makes sense.  Even though it could be cheaper, you're still specifying what people need to bring and I agree you should never do that. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

That is an awesome idea!!!

My Mom threw me the shower and I kinda steered clear of the book drive the entire time - though it was done for my Sister AND my Sister-in-law... I put some books on the registry hoping people would take the hint and buy some books for LO...

Well - at the shower I found out my Mom felt so bad about forgetting to do the book drive that she went out and bought us like 30 books... Indifferent I appreciate them but I'm actually glad that "she forgot" because I do agree - one should not dictate how guests spend their money or what they buy...

I do have an awesome book that my sister put together with wishes for baby, "I hope you never have to...." "I hope you always remember..." "I hope you grow..." etc... This idea sounds like combining the two! awesome!

Pregnancy Ticker PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    What a great idea!  My hostess was considering doing the "bring a book instead of a card" thing as well, but I may pitch this to her instead!  This will also make sure that we dont end up with two of the same book!  Thanks for the tip!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Such a wonderful idea!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I love that idea! So much better than telling your guests what they have to buy. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageSwetaV:
    What a great idea!  My hostess was considering doing the "bring a book instead of a card" thing as well, but I may pitch this to her instead!  This will also make sure that we dont end up with two of the same book!  Thanks for the tip!

The only problem with this is that you are now asking your HOST to foot the bill for all of these books (1/2 price or not).  Now...if YOU wanted to purchase books and have guests write their thoughts in it then that would be fine.  OR if you host does come up with the idea of purchasing them herself that would be OK.  It would be rude to actually ask your host to foot the bill for books so your guests can write in them.  KWIM?

• Options
    imagerhubarb123:

imageSwetaV:

The only problem with this is that you are now asking your HOST to foot the bill for all of these books (1/2 price or not).  Now...if YOU wanted to purchase books and have guests write their thoughts in it then that would be fine.  OR if you host does come up with the idea of purchasing them herself that would be OK.  It would be rude to actually ask your host to foot the bill for books so your guests can write in them.  KWIM?

Absolutely agreed, I would actually be the one to buy the books that we want for the babies and just give them to her to have at the shower for our guests to sign.  My sister is my host for the shower, and knowing her she would try to take on that cost as well, but we are trying to help her out as much as we can, cost wise, so this is definitely something I would foot the bill for. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"