February 2013 Moms
Options

Cytotec for inductions?

A few weeks ago I was asking my MW about how an induction would be done with a VBAC - whether there were any differences to a "regular" induction. She said they wouldn't use picotin with a VBAC induction, but instead would give me a "contraction cocktail" (not sure if there are actually any medications in there or just more natural products like RRL that are supposed to induce uterine contractions) and also Cytotec. That surprised me since I know of Cytotec being used off-label for medicated miscarriages (which I know are essentially the same thing as inducing labor) but I thought the company had explicitly stated that it was no longer to be used for labor inductions for some reason.

Does anyone know anything about Cytotec inductions that they can share? Especially any studies related to using it for VBACs? 

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

Re: Cytotec for inductions?

• Options
    I was given cytotec for my induction just over a week ago. I was told they give it to help soften the cervix and then normally do pitocin after that. Luckily for me it just took one dose of the cytotec and labor was moving along just fine.

Hope that helps

Married to DH 10.29.11

DD born 1.26.13
    DS born 6.12.14
    #3 due 12.6.16

• Options
    Check out Ina May Gaskin and cytotec on the web. Or watch one of the episodes of Netflix More Business of Being Born.  I don't know of links to studies, but the information from those sources might lead to resources. Hope that helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemattanda2011:
    I was given cytotec for my induction just over a week ago. I was told they give it to help soften the cervix and then normally do pitocin after that. Luckily for me it just took one dose of the cytotec and labor was moving along just fine.

Hope that helps

Same here. Just one dose got me going, didn't need any pitocin.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Options

Please do this! I just watched the episodes, and it seems like cytotec is scary stuff. I will be refusing it if offered.

Edit, meant to copy and paste Seimpre's post.

• Options
    I was told that cytotec was not safe when I miscarried, since I have had a csection. But I had pitocin with my de and my vbac.
  • Options
    I would recommend posting this over on the natural birth board.  Cytotec is pretty controversial and there are some ladies over there on both sides of the argument that have done a lot of research on it.  You may be able to get a lot of good information to make your own informed decision about the drug.

• Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'll go over to the natural birth board and see if they can give me some links/info. I remember reading during my m/c (when I was trying to decide whether to request a medicated m/c before a d&c if my body didn' m/c on its own) about Cytotec and thinking it sounded kind of scary, which is why it surprised my that my hippy-ish MW casually mentioned it in the same tone as she recommended RRL tea.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"