Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Tall Ladies: Wooden Glider or Fully Upholstered Glider

I'm 5'10" and am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on gliders... I like the "look" (though not the cost so much...) of fully upholstered gliders like the one on the left in the picture below. However, I wonder if it would be to low and not provide as much neck support for nursing as a more traditional glider like the one on the right.
If you have a specific brand of glider you LOVE or HATE, I'd love to hear it!
Baking Blog | TTC Blog | Pinterest
TTC #1 since October 2010 | Began Testing in January 2012
DH SA - low motility with 0% morph; varicocele (repaired); low T (on Clomid)
IVF w/ICSI (long Lupron w/ Repronex and Follistim) in September 2012

imageimage
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Tall Ladies: Wooden Glider or Fully Upholstered Glider

• Options

I am with you too. I am 6'1" and I would rather have an upholstered chair. I don't care for the look of the open gliders. 

We are actually going to head to IKEA and check out the Jennylund chair and see if I can rest comfortably against that one. If I can I am getting that one and the hubby is going to put a rocker swivel base on it! :)

The IKEA Poang chair works too for the tall ladies I read.  

Good luck on the chair search!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We opted for a recliner...way comfy! You use those arm rests and I can't imagine any of them would be comfortable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I started out with an upholstered glider that I got on Craigslist but was initially sold at Babies R Us.  It was way too low to the ground for me, but it didn't really become an issue until I had to use both arms to hold my sleeping kiddo and get up just using my legs.  I ended up finding a Best Chair glider in the same navy blue color (also on Craigslist) that was much higher in the seat and sold my old one.  

My advice to anyone shopping for a glider is to try them out in person, sit down, get comfortable, and then try to stand up without using your hands or jerking your upper body too hard.  

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

• Options
    Not sure if you are actually considered the glider on far right side but if so (and it is the Shermag from BRU) I would highly recommend AGAINST it! I tried it out in store, loved it so much I ignored all of the reviews I found saying it could develop horrible squeak. Now, one year later, we can barely use ours bc the squeak is so bad. Just as a warning! 

DD#1: Charlotte (1/19/12)
    DD#2: Delilah (7/16/13)

Baby #3 on the way, EDD 1/19/15
    hcg @ 11dpo = 18
    hcg @ 16 dpo = 244

• Options

I'm 6' and opted for a rocker/recliner from a furniture store. It took some looking, but I found one that wasn't overstuffed and sleek enough to go with the nursery design. I'm sitting in it now nursing my baby girl and am so pleased I went this route!

https://www.havertys.com/Product_49964_____74_59_

Sorry I can't make it clicky - on my iPad! 

After 22 months TTC and the loss of our identical twins at 10w6d, we're excited about our rainbow baby!
    Stick, baby, Stick!
    Beta #1 (12dpo): 38.3; Beta #2 (15dpo): 202.7
    Baby Girl born 1/17/13
  • Options
    Another thing to think about is the height of the back of the glider to be able to rest your head comfortably. There is a company that makes taller gliders but they arent cheap. I wish I could remember the brand, but am drawing a blank at the moment.
  • Options
    I'm 5'11 and have a Best chair glider. It works well for me and my husband he's 6'2.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"