Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Smoke-filled clothes....

I went to a baby shower today, and the MTB had a huge box of boy clothes for me. The only problem is though, is that who ever owned them previously (it was a gift for her, but she's having a girl, so she gave me the clothes) must have been a smoker.

These are really nice clothes! I won't use them if there is no way to remove all of the harmful chemicals in them, but I'll try anything to get them fresh and clean.

Any ideas?? Is there any way to get rid of all of the smokey-ness, or should I just give them back to her or what? 
TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Smoke-filled clothes....

• Options
    Wash them with added baking soda, this should help remove the smell
  • Options
    Fill your bathtub with water, add a couple cups of Epsom salt and soak for 24 hours. Wash normally, if that doesn't remove all of the smell wash with vinegar and baking soda.

We purchased some used items and some of them smelled like smoke. The Epsom salt soak removed the smell.
    my read shelf:
    Erika's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Oct Angel Babies Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oxyclean baby gets EVERYTHING out.  Soak the clothes in your washer using half of a scoop, soaking them for even an hour, then washing.  If that doesn't work, repeat it.  The smell of smoke can be removed by simply washing (my dad smoked a pipe). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Today is always fresh, with no mistakes in it--Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables
  • Options
    I had a similar issue with my SIL.  I soaked the clothes in detergent for a while before washing.  I soaked and washed the clothes twice.  Now, you would never know the clothes smelled like smoke.

• Options
    my husband left a jacket at his moms for a month, when she reterned it, it reeked of smoke. I washed normally in Tide w/ Febreeze and it didn't smell at all after one wash
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagejlmumma:
    Wash them with added baking soda, this should help remove the smell
    Yes
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"