Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

transitoning to toddler bed

Our 21 month old LO climbed out of her crib several times and for safety reasons we decided to switch her crib into a toddler bed.  She watched us convert the crib and played in it that day and went to bed in there.  We thought great! That was simple.  20 minutes after she went to sleep she screamed and came out of her room.  I imagine she was having a nightmare as she was saying something about our dogs crate.  We tried  to put her back and sit with her to no avail.  Eventually she fell asleep on the floor on her rug.  We figured after a rough night back and forth to our bed we wouldn't push the toddler bed thing and allowed her to sleep on her floor with blankets as she requested. 

So.. it's been 3 weeks and she won't go in the bed.  We went out and she picked out a dora bed set and we read her big girl bed books and she still says no.  " No bed. Sleep on the floor please".  PArt of me feels like it's fine to let her sleep on the floor until she feels comfortable to transition to the toddler bed.  I would like opinions though as to how you  transitioned your kid, or if you feel like I should not set up a "bed" on the floor for her.  

thoughts? 

TIA

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image

Re: transitoning to toddler bed

• Options

I'd let her sleep on the floor if that's what she prefers, but I'm a pretty easy-going parent.  I pick my battles, and I wouldn't be strict about needing to sleep in her bed just for the sake of it.  It's not like she is in danger on the floor.  I always think to myself, "If my kid were to ask WHY?, would I have a good reason?" In this case, your answer to WHY? would only be "Well because normal people sleep in beds"

Have you thought about moving the mattress to the floor?

I view everything as a phase, and it sounds like this is one!

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Options
    If she is sleeping fine and not waking during the night, she is probably fine on the floor.  But, I would continue to read to her and spend time in her bed so she can get used to it.  It might be worth a try to move the mattress to the floor.  I have heard a lot of people do that when transitioning.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really like the PP idea of putter her mattress on the floor. If she is willing to sleep on the mattress on the floor maybe later she will sleep on her mattress in the frame. Whats the big deal if she sleeps on the floor anyway? If she is willing to stay in her room and will sleep then I feel like you have a victory on your hands. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I would just let her sleep on the floor if she wants to. You could also try moving the mattress to the floor if you think she'll be more comfortable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

She's fine on the floor. I always remind myself that they will eventually have normal sleep habits but there's no need to rush them. My 4 1/2 year old slept in his toddler bed for a few months, then slept in a fort on the floor, then back in his bed, now in the twin bed in the guest room across the hall but hey- he's sleeping! And his sleep habits are totally normal when we travel or he sleeps at Grandma and Grandpa's, etc. It's definitely a "choose your battles" moment!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageTink112011:

I'd let her sleep on the floor if that's what she prefers, but I'm a pretty easy-going parent.  I pick my battles, and I wouldn't be strict about needing to sleep in her bed just for the sake of it.  It's not like she is in danger on the floor.  I always think to myself, "If my kid were to ask WHY?, would I have a good reason?" In this case, your answer to WHY? would only be "Well because normal people sleep in beds"

Have you thought about moving the mattress to the floor?

I view everything as a phase, and it sounds like this is one!

I agree with this and also trying to move the mattress to the floor.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"