October 2012 Moms
Options

Why yes, I'll take some cartoons.

My LO is 10 weeks and she LOVES to watch cartoons already! Does anyone else's LO's seem to love cartoons yet? I'm sure it's the colors and music that attract her so much because she doesn't just sit and watch regular shows, but I figured it was too early for her to even been interested. I just turned them on to see what she would do. She is a VERY active baby...doesn't stop moving her limbs until she is dead asleep, but the cartoons seem to put her in a trance and she is calm so it's kind of nice! lol It's hard to keep up with such an active baby...she is hard to hold because she squirms so much! Just curious... Smile

Re: Why yes, I'll take some cartoons.

• Options
    My LO like basketball and football. I think it's the back and forth. He is also hypnotized by Baby Einstein. I must admit it is trippy!

Be careful of what cartoons you let your LO watch though. Some cartoons go at to fast of a rate.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah...I believe it is time for Baby Einstein instead of cartoons! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry, I am loling that your baby is so active she is hard to keep up with.
    Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageMrs.G123:

This.

Also, I don't mean to start a big war, but this is the second or third post I've seen about infants watching tv. This is not okay. J&J for babies is perfectly fine. TV for infants is not.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageelfchique:

imageMrs.G123:

This.

Also, I don't mean to start a big war, but this is the second or third post I've seen about infants watching tv. This is not okay. J&J for babies is perfectly fine. TV for infants is not.  

eh it's not the end of the world. Ethan likes the colors and sounds and is more reactive to those than any of his other toys. I don't have him watching for hours, but a few minutes won't ruin him. 

Married my best friend 09.18.11
    TTC since 12.10.11, BFP #1 02.10.12
    Baby E born 10/18/12. 8.5lbs and 21in of pure perfection!

My Blogging Endeavors:
    Here Comes Mommy
  • Options
    Also, I am with elf on t. For infants. They will be just as happy with a toy, and it is better for them.
    Birthday

• Options
    imageMrs.G123:

Lol, this. Good luck when she starts walking?
  • Options
    imageelfchique:

imageMrs.G123:

This.

Its not like I'm leaving LO in front of the tv for long stretch! I only put him in his bouncer with baby Einstein when laying on the floor doesn't cut it and I want to make a cup of coffee and a bowel of cereal.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageelfchique:

imageMrs.G123:

This.

I agree with this to a certain extent.  I definitely don't think infants should be watching a ton of tv, and at this age maybe none (though I don't think a small amount would hurt), but once they get a little older, I think certain things are okay in moderation. 

From what I've read and heard, it's the pace at which some cartoon change that can be problematic from a brain development standpoint (up to age 2 seems to be the consensus right now).  Baby Einstein and puppet type shows (Sesame Street, Barney) don't pose that problem.  The issue with too much of that is that you want your child to be doing enoiugh active learning, and you don't want to create a couch potato habit that will be hard to break later on. 

That being said, if LO likes the colors of cartoons, I don't think it's the end of the world for them to watch it to keep them calm while you make a sandwich or brush your teeth or something, as long as you keep it to just a few minutes here and there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageCK2MD:
    imagealyson686:
    imageelfchique:

imageMrs.G123:

This.

I agree with this to a certain extent.  I definitely don't think infants should be watching a ton of tv, and at this age maybe none (though I don't think a small amount would hurt), but once they get a little older, I think certain things are okay in moderation. 

From what I've read and heard, it's the pace at which some cartoon change that can be problematic from a brain development standpoint (up to age 2 seems to be the consensus right now).  Baby Einstein and puppet type shows (Sesame Street, Barney) don't pose that problem.  The issue with too much of that is that you want your child to be doing enoiugh active learning, and you don't want to create a couch potato habit that will be hard to break later on. 

For info about the detrimental effects of TV on children under 2yrs old (which is the age under which the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NO TV), see Jenn Berman's SuperBaby and John Medina's Brain Rules for Baby. Even shows like Sesame Street, which have been shown to have a positive effect for older children, has negative effects on kids <3yo, including a negative impact on language development. Disney, which owns the Baby Einstein line, revoked many of its adertised claims and offered refunds to parents who had bought their products for these reasons.

For an overview: https://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1650352,00.html

Thank you for posting this article because I was about to say the exact same thing. TV is not ok now.  

• Options

Easy ladies! I'm not sitting her in front of the tv for hours...she just watches for a few minutes, but I was mostly posting this because I thought it was interesting that she is so into them...even when she is only watching for a short amount of time. Obviously I wouldn't sit her in front of the tv and leave her there for hours. We get A LOT of one on one time where I teach her things and talk to her. I am a SAHM so I enjoy spending as much time playing with and teaching her as many things as possible at her age. And it's mostly things like Clifford or Curious George...I highly doubt those would be detrimental to her.

And she IS very active...as in squirmy/constantly moving and I can tell that she is frustrated that she isn't able to be independent. Look up the definition of an active baby and that's her. Idk what I am gonna do when she starts walking. I'm gonna have my hands full, that's for sure! 

And not to mention, I'm not worried about her becoming a couch potato when she gets older. We live in the country and love to fish and ride our airboat and when she gets old enough to do all those things, that is definitely what she will be doing. I don't plan on raising a child who loves to stay inside more than outside.

• Options
    imageCK2MD:
    imagealyson686:
    imageelfchique:

imageMrs.G123:

This.

Also, I don't mean to start a big war, but this is the second or third post I've seen about infants watching tv. This is not okay. J&amp;J for babies is perfectly fine. TV for infants is not. &nbsp;

I agree with this to a certain extent.&nbsp; I definitely don't think infants should be watching a ton of tv, and at this age maybe none (though I don't think a small amount would hurt), but once they get a little older,&nbsp;I think certain things are okay in moderation.&nbsp;

From what I've read and heard, it's the pace at which some cartoon change that can be problematic from a brain development standpoint (up to age 2 seems to be the consensus right now).&nbsp; Baby Einstein and puppet type shows (Sesame Street, Barney)&nbsp;don't pose that problem.&nbsp; The issue with too much of that is that you want your child to be doing&nbsp;enoiugh active learning, and you don't want to create a couch potato habit that will be hard to break later on.&nbsp;

For info about the detrimental effects of TV on children under 2yrs old (which is the age under which the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NO TV), see Jenn Berman's SuperBaby and John Medina's Brain Rules for Baby. Even shows like Sesame Street, which have been shown to have a positive effect for older children, has negative effects on kids &lt;3yo, including a negative impact on language development. Disney, which owns the Baby Einstein line, revoked many of its adertised claims and offered refunds to parents who had bought their products for these reasons.

For an overview: https://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1650352,00.html

&nbsp;

Yeah, pretty much what I've read elsewhere. But keep in mind that there is no definitive sure answer on any of this. As with most everything else, different studies will say different things, and even the same study can be interpreted different ways and be shown to be proof of opposing points. Also, it's hard to control for all the variables in this type of study. FWIW, DS1 has watched a 30 minute video almost daily since he was about 6 months old, and he's WAY ahead verbally. One of the factors there, I believe, is that he watched the video in addition to lots of reading and verbal interaction with me and DH, not in place of those things.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"