May 2013 Moms
Options

The baby does have spina bifida

I just got back from the perinatologist. When I first got there they did a long ultrasound. The baby wasn't really cooperating very much. But they did see the "bump"that they called it. The Dr. said it was low but couldn't say exactly where. The Dr. said the baby has the classic lemon and banana signs in the brain. The baby's legs were moving but he didn't know if that is involuntary or not. They did an amino. I didn't get much time to think about it. It happened really fast. The Dr. said it will check for chromosomal abnormalities and he said it would see if the fluid from the spine is leaking (I think, something to that effect) to see if it is open or closed. He thinks it is open. We will wait for the results, then he will make the referral to the neurosurgeon. He said they may do a fetal MRI but maybe not depending on what the neurosurgeon wants to do. He said the baby will have surgery after he is born. They will transfer him to the Children's hospital in Omaha. He said I still see my regular OB and see him also. I have gestational diabetes so they will keep an even closer eye on me. The Dr. was nice. I am 18 weeks 6 days so it seems there are a lot of unknowns. The baby is definitely a boy. His name will be Logan
. I feel at peace now that I know what it is. I have this sense of calm. Of course this isn't the news I wanted. But I already love this baby so much. I want to get to know everyone else more on here. I can't thank you all enough for what you have done for me so far!!! Any other resources you can point me to? Do we have any facebook groups or anything? I am thinking of starting a blog. Just to keep track of my thoughts and baby's progress. I don't know.
Sorry for the rambling. Trying to think of everything the Dr. said.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Expecting Logan James (Spina Bifida) May 2013. Follow our journey: http://littleloganjames.blogspot.com/

Re: The baby does have spina bifida

• Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this news.  I can't imagine what you're going through.  I'm sending thoughts and prayers for you, Logan, and your family.  At least you know that the doctors are there to work with you every step of the way and you can have a plan in place to get him the best care when he is born.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Options
    I am so sorry you have to go through this. My prayers are with you and your family
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, you sound so strong.  I am sorry you didn't get the news you wanted, but I am very glad to hear the strength and love in you message.  Prayers for you family.
  • Options
    Stay strong! I'm so sorry you are going through this but you seem to be handling it with such poise and grace. I think a blog is a great idea :)
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you were given this diagnosis.  It sounds like you have a great team looking out for you and your LO once he is born.  Many thoughts and prayers and continued strength to you and your family.

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

• Options
    I'm sorry for your news but so glad to hear you know what is wrong now.  You are a wonderful person for having the attitude that you do! All too often people get news like this and have only terrible things to say.  You are an inspiration!  I would definitely say start a blog! I am sure others would find some comfort in the knowledge you will gain in the coming days!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Indeed, a very strong mommy! I am sorry for your news. Please keep everyone updated. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and sweet Logan. 
    Me: 32
    DH: 35
    DD #1: 6/1/2013
    EDD #2: 6/7/2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    Oh a big squeeze for you, Logan, and the rest of your family and huge kudos to you as you seem to be so positive!  Children's in Omaha is wonderful.  I hope that they are able to help you with resources and caring for your sweet baby Logan.  
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this :( One of my very good friends has spina bifida and has one of the worst cases. She has 4 beautiful children (biologically) and a wonderful husband who adores her. She has a great supportive family. Logan can overcome this and be a healthy happy child with your support :) T&P that its not a serious case. 
  • Options

I'm so sorry. You do sound incredibly strong, which is definitely what Logan needs. I hope the doctors are able to determine the full scope of what they're dealing with quickly. I've heard that spina bifida can often be corrected in utero, so I will keep you, Logan and the rest of your family in my thoughts and prayers. (((Hugs))).

There is a facebook group, although I can't remember the link or where it's posted. There are some threads about it if you scroll back through the posts. It's probably quite a few pages back.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagecaden1206:
    Wow, you sound so strong.  I am sorry you didn't get the news you wanted, but I am very glad to hear the strength and love in you message.  Prayers for you family.

I agree. You sound very strong, it is inspirational! T&P to you and your family.

• Options
    I'm sure that it is not the news you wanted to hear, but knowing will help you to better plan and prepare . ...

How far away will you be for delivery from the children's hospital where he will be transferred?
  • Options

I'm sorry for your news but you'll be in my prayers...

And I love the name Logan. 

Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    Oh wow.  Sorry to hear of the diagnosis.  As with most things, there's a great range of severity with spina bifida - hopefully he can finish developing and end up on the lesser end of the spectrum.  Also, it sounds like your perinatologist has a plan of action, so that's a good thing.  I'll be thinking of your family & baby Logan in the weeks to come.  Please keep us updated!
  • Options
    Your outlook is amazingly inspiring. My heart goes out to you and your family...  thoughts and prayers that all works out as well as it can. He's lucky to have such a strong mama 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    So sorry you're going through this. :(  Good thoughts to your family.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I am so sorry you and Logan are going through this, too, but I am also glad you found peace in having answers. I used to work with a man who had spina bifida and I believe he was very active in a local spina bifida association. I am sure you have been directed to resources and support groups through your OB, and I want to encourage you to follow up on them because you really do need the support. Also, please PM me if you ever need an ear to listen or shoulder to lean on. I am sending you a giant old fashioned cyber-hug...((((HUGS))))
  • Options
    I am sorry you received this news.  Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.  A blog may be a great way to connect with others who have experienced the same and share your strength with others who will.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your news. I will be praying for you, Logan, and your family. I'm glad your at peace with the circumstance. Starting a blog sounds like a great idea! Sounds like you have some good doctors that will give you all the attention you and your lo need right now. Stay strong and good luck!
  • Options
    Prayers for you!
    VOTE on my Name List
    Check out my Team Green baby names! P.S. I'm not serious with any of the names
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 9/7/12, EDD 5/15/13
    MW interview said 5/17/13 and changed back to 5/15/13 after first visit
  • Options

I am so sorry that you got this news.  It sounds like the doctors have a good plan for you and Logan and I'll be praying for all of you.

My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you received this diagnosis.  Thoughts and prayers for you and Logan.  It sounds like you have a very level-headed attitude, and it's wonderful that Logan has good doctors and a plan of action already being put in place. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I am so sorry and am sending you and your family T&P's.  Baby Logan is so lucky he is so loved!
    IVF# 1 with ICSI 05/02/2012 - Husband had surgery 07/13/2012 - Started BCP 07/31/2012 - Stopped BCP 08/02/2012 - Little Friend came and had trand vag echo and blood test 08/03/2012 - started Puregon 250UI a day 08/10/2012 - blood test and transvag echo. Continued with Puregon, added Orgalutron and Menopur 08/12/2012 - did regular meds in morn, Pregnyl trigger shot at 930pm 08/14/2012 - ER with only a shot of anesthetic to my whoha - OUCH -next time i will ask for general. They were only able to get at one ovary because the other is located too close to my intestines. 08/17/2012 - ET of 2 Grade A emryos. Dr said only two really good ones were available and if the others make it to blastocyst stage. 08/27/2012 - No call from doctor so we can assume nothing to freeze. 08/31/2012 - Beta #1 286.2 - I am pregnant! Doctor is not doing a second Beta 09/1472012 - Saw babys heart flutter Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    So sorry to hear this. Lots of good thoughts for you, your family, and Logan. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this ): I'll be praying for you, baby and your family. I love the name Logan.
                              Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicphoto r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif
                            Anniversary
                           BFP#1- April 24th. M/c-April 30th. BFP#2-September 11th. EDD: May 25th. 
                                      It's a girl!!! (: Madison arrived on May 19th at 6:35 am (:
                                                               * July '15 January siggy challenge.*
  • Options

I am sorry you are going through such a tough time right now. I wish you all the strength you need. You have the information and  the doctors will do everything that needs to be done. I will keep you and family in my prayers. 

EDIT Most importantly, Logan is a great name and congratulations on a baby boy.  

• Options
    Sorry to hear this, but grateful that you are feeling some peace with it all. Lots of T&P headed your way. Wishing you strength this new year and all throughout. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options

Thoughts and prayers for you, your family and Logan.  Please do keep us updated so we can help support you. 

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    Prayers for you, baby Logan and your family. I think starting a blog would be a great idea - it will help you get some of the information, your thoughts, your emotions, etc out of your head...writing can be very helpful in processing everything. 
  • Options
    Well Ill definitely be praying for your babys continued care and surgery when the time comes! Keep staying strong.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am sorry to hear that.  Sending T&Ps that everything will go well for your family.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Options
    So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My DH's father has a pretty severe case of spina bifida as well as a couple other family members. Because of this I was put through quite a few tests to keep an eye on LO's development.  During these tests I was pretty scared as there were "questionable spots" found.  I was directed towards a book called "Living with Spina Bifida: A guide for families and professionals."  This answered a lot of my questions.  Even though we have family members with Spina Bifida I found comfort in doing my own research.  
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family. I'm sorry you are going through this. Your strength is inspiring and baby Logan is very fortunate to be so loved already.

**BFP 6/2/2015
    Toddler Boy 5/24/2013
  • Options

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I can't even imagine how stressful this must be, but you sound like you have a great attitude, and a wonderful team of doctors on your side. As you know, there are varying degrees of severity with SB. I know a girl who has it, and I had known her for years before I even found out.

I think blogging sounds like a great idea, as it'll help you personally to get your thoughts and emotions out, and you may end up helping someone going through something similar. I would also check out the special needs board on this site. I'm not sure what the dynamic is of that board, but it can't hurt to check it out. I'm sure there are support groups elsewhere online too.

And of course, we are always here for you too! Please keep us posted. ((hugs))

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this news..I will be sending prayers up for you and Logan.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear the news.  Thoughts and prayers are with you. I have a family friend who has a son with spina bifida and he is a wonderful boy. I think you should definitely start a blog. Will help you process your thoughts and emotions and may help other moms down the road.  Best of luck 
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Big hugs to you and your family...I don't know too much on spina bifida so I can't offer anything new to you but just wanted to tell you that I'll pray for the best outcome on your baby boy.  Love the name (we are thinking of naming our little one Logan too maybe as a mn).
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What a strong woman you are! You and Logan will be in my thoughts.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I am so sorry! Sending you and little Logan lots pf prayers!

The special needs board on here is very informative and I think there are more specific special needs boards on Baby Center.  

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"