Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Clomid question

Hey everyone!

I have been trying to get pregnant for about a year, and recently my OBGYN prescribed Clomid for me because he found out I was not ovulating like I should.

Anyway, today is day 15 of my first cycle on the medication and I have been having a dull aching feeling in my lower abdomen all day. I'm not sure this is expected with this medicine or if it is a good sign that I am ovulating or what.

Has anyone else ever experienced the same thing while on Clomid, and if so what did it mean?

Thanks for your help! 

Re: Clomid question

• Options

I have been trying to get pregnant for about a year, and recently my OBGYN prescribed Clomid for me because he found out I was not ovulating like I should. And how was that determined?  I'm assuming you didn't have proper testing done before taking the med either, right? 

Anyway, today is day 15 of my first cycle on the medication and I have been having a dull aching feeling in my lower abdomen all day. I'm not sure this is expected with this medicine or if it is a good sign that I am ovulating or what. And you're not being monitored...awesome.  Truthfully, there is no way to tell what is going on then.

Has anyone else ever experienced the same thing while on Clomid, and if so what did it mean? It could mean a number of things--you overstimmed, have a cyst, ovulated. 

My advice-do NOT take this med again, get proper testing done, and see an RE who knows what the heck they are doing with meds like this.  Good luck

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    While I have no experience with Clomid myself, I do know that you have to be monitored while taking it. You can only use it for a maximum of six cycles your entire life, because of side effects.

Since I'm not experienced with this, can someone else chime in? I think I've read that it can cause cancer.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I did have alot of tests done prior to starting the med, blood work, ultrasound to check for cysts, I even had a procedure to check and make sure my fallopian tubes were open and clear of any blockages. I am going back in on the 3rd to have my progesterone level checked. I didn't feel it necessary to give the whole back story! lol 

I just wanted to know if anyone else had this same experience! 

• Options
    imagesnichols0031:

I did have alot of tests done prior to starting the med, blood work, ultrasound to check for cysts, I even had a procedure to check and make sure my fallopian tubes were open and clear of any blockages. I am going back in on the 3rd to have my progesterone level checked. I didn't feel it necessary to give the whole back story! lol 

I just wanted to know if anyone else had this same experience! 

Yeah, backstory is generally an important thing to give in cases like this.

I retract some of my advice (because there was no back story) and revise to this:

Find an RE who knows what they are doing.  Having all the testing done is great, but now the most important thing is for you to be monitored while on this med.

Every cycle on this med you need: CD 3 b/w and u/s, more b/w and another u/s again around CD 10 and then 7DPO b/w to check progesterone. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

ok I need to look for one then. All my OB is doing the the progesterone check. 

What I'm having isn't painful, just kind of a dull ache and fullness. Should I be worried or call the doc? 

• Options

I am sure you are wondering if the pain you are feeling is ovulation pain.  If you were going to a proper doctor, you would be monitored with ultrasounds and you would know for sure when and whether you were ovulating.  Bloodwork at CD21 does not tell the whole story because it assumes that you ovulate on CD14, which most women do not.  Also, your husband should have had a semen analysis before starting the clomid.  Clomid causes cancer -- that's why you can only take it 6 times in your whole life.  

So, right now you are taking a dangerous drug without the proper monitoring to make sure it is working and without making sure your husband has any sperm. And you might have wasted one of your lifetime cycles.  You also might be hyper ovulating (making like 6 or 8 eggs) and you wouldn't know that either because you are not having ultrasounds of your ovaries to determine how many follicles you have.  You could be the next Jon & Kate plus 8.  yay! 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Philo

Baby N conceived after 1 miscarriage and more than 2 years of TTC. Diagnosis was low sperm count. We found success after 3 months of anastrozole to increase DH's testosterone and one IUI.
    Some charts AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive. - Happy Gilmore
  • Options
    When I did the clomid challenge, I hyper ovulated and it hurt like hell.  Clomid can cause a lot of different things but most commonly; cysts and hyper ovulation.  An ultra sound would let you know what was up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    me:33 my wife:32      married in June '12
    LONG road through IF ending in heartbreak and frustration.
    Moving on to Adoption : matched 5/14! 
    Our beautiful son was born August 25, 2014!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

• Options

Id not take it till you saw a REI that does the ultrasound on CD1. I am on my 2nd Month of taking it they do a ultrasound CD 1, then for 5 days had me take Clomid and 5 days after that they checked my follicles. If I were to guess your probably feeling is Ovulation or your Follicles growing. Off and on I felt twinges after taking it so it is a normal thing I guess you could say. 

And don't be shy about finding a new doctor, before DH and I started seeing the REI I went through 3 Ob/Gyn and 2 REI doctors because they wouldn't work with me find a doctor that is good because taking the wrong meds can be a serious risk to your health and especially when they aren't doing their job right.  

Me: 31 DH: 33 Married : 12 Years going on 16 years together TTC since 9/2001 11/2012 100 MG Clomid 12/2012 200 MG Clomid: IUI 12/26 2 Week Wait Praying for a miracle
  • Options

Listen to the ladies here - they are smart. Make sure you are comfortable with your doctor before starting Clomid. 

I am about to O after my first Clomid cycle. I've also had dull aches around my left ovary. I did have a monitoring u/s on Friday which showed a bunch of follicles, 2 that were mature. So, the aches are probably from them growing and getting ready to O (I just had a +opk this morning, so the timing makes sense). This could be what you are experiencing now.

Good luck. 

Married since 2008 | TTC #1 since 2011

2 losses: Nov '11 and Aug '12
    Dx: Feb '13 - HSG shows clear tubes but minor diverticulitis; Borderline DOR; Low DHEA and low testosterone.
    Moving on to IUI or IVF.

3.4.13:  Holy crap! Surprise natural BFP on cycle #19. EDD 11.12.13
    We've got a peen.....it's a boy! 
    Little man born 11.17.2013 via c-section

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"