March 2013 Moms
Options

baby furniture question

Quick question, not sure whether to go with an expensive convertable crib set (some sets are upwards of $2,500) or just do a cheap convertable set in case the kid totally detroys it in the next 5 years. In reality we would like to buy the expensive one and be done, but I have reservations. Any advice from anyone or STMs?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: baby furniture question

• Options
    We spent about $400 on our convertible crib and I'm really happy with it so far. We haven't converted it yet though. My plan is to use it as a crib for all our babies and keep the nursery pretty much the same with the matching furniture and all, and then convert it when the youngest outgrows it. Hopefully it's still in decent shape by then! I would definitely invest in or make some sort of teething guard though when your LO starts pulling up on the side rails, otherwise it will likely take a beating.

• Options

I don't see the need to spend that much money on baby furniture.  Most of it isn't even made better than cheaper stuff, so I think it's a waste of money.

We have a Graco Lauren crib and it's been great.  We already had Ikea dressers, so we bought a crib that matched color wise.  It has some teeth marks on it from DD1, but it's definitely not ruined.   

We'll buy DD1 a 'real' bedroom set in a year or so.  Right now she's in a cheap toddler bed and that's been fine, too. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm buying an ikea crib, that can be used as a toddler bed.  We plan on moving n about 3 years or so, so maybe I'll get him a real bed then. 

Imho, I don't like the way convertible cribs look as double beds.  I need a crib, not a double bed; when I need a double bed, I'll by buy one.

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagehappy_un-bride:

I'm buying an ikea crib, that can be used as a toddler bed.  We plan on moving n about 3 years or so, so maybe I'll get him a real bed then. 

Imho, I don't like the way convertible cribs look as double beds.  I need a crib, not a double bed; when I need a double bed, I'll by buy one.

Ditto to this.  I love our Ikea cribs and they've held up great the 4 years we've used them.  Not to mention we don't have room in our house for two more double beds so that would make convertible cribs pointless in my book.  Plus, who knows what your kid (or you) will like when you do move them to a big bed.  

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options
    Add another to the IKEA list. Our Lo will go to a twin when they need a bigger bed, not a double. I just don't see the point to a convertible crib. or spending a lot on a piece of furniture that will take a beating and be a chew toy too.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of the convertibles either, but one thing that makes some cribs more expensive is if you want it made in America and/or real wood. Our crib was $600 because those were important to us. I cannot justify though the overpriced dressers and changing tables. Totally going Craigslist for these - will get nicer furniture cheaper.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DS's crib was around $400 when we purchased it 3 years ago (Europa Baby Palisades Crib) and the matching dresser was around the same.  We actually just bought the conversion kit and converted it last night (he was in a toddler bed, then a double bed just sitting on a metal frame).  He loves his bed and it looks really nice.  I will say he was not a chewer, so that may be why it still looks so nice- my friend's little girl would teeth on her crib and it looked awful.  DS's still looks brand new.

For this LO, I really want a white furniture set for her.  All the ones I like are in the $500 range and I don't think we're going to go that high this time for each piece, but we will stick with a convertible since it's worked so well with DS. 

• Options
    I wouldn't spend that much on a crib that will get knawed on and so forth. We bought a 400 convertable crib and I'm worried that was even to much, its nice real wood (and HEAVY) but with teeth marks not sure how good it will look! I wouldn't spend over 500 for crib. I decided to go with the one we did because I plan on having a few kids and will hopefully use it for all of them

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image image

My Blog

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP# 1 7/7/12 Beautiful DD born still at 36 weeks 5 days on 3/2/13
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2005. Started Metformin July 2013

BFP # 2 8/7/14 EDD 4/22/15
    Please be our rainbow!!

**All AL Welcome**

• Options
    We got the convertible crib for DD but didn't think there was a point in converting it when we found out we were pregnant again. She now sleeps in a Dora toddler bed and the crib is moved to the other side of the room for the new baby when he's ready to go into it. I am not sure if we will convert it when LO is ready or if we will just sell it and get him a toddler bed. I don't see the need to spend a ton of money of it. I think ours was maybe $300 for the crib and another $400 for the changing table and dresser.
  • Options
    I think we spent around 300 tops for convertible crib, mattress, changing table, pad and dresser. We recently took the front off the crib to make a toddler bed... We'll hopefully have a twin bed bought by the time this baby arrives... So we can put the front back on the crib for the new baby. Thankfully DS1 wasn't a chewer either, so the crib isn't all chewed up.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Options

We have decided on the convertible crib from target for $299. It got great reviews and goes with our color scheme. We have a full size bed in storage that we will be using in our guest room when we move until the LO is old enough. I am hoping as long as we take good care of it, it will last for 2 more kids in cribs.

Good luck!

• Options
    I did buy the expensive convertable crib but it was the only one that DH and I could agree on.  I fully expect that we will buy a new bed when the baby is ready for a big girl bed.  I really don't like the look of the bed once it is converted.  My SIL bought an expensive convertable and it just doesn't look right in her kids room now that he is older.  Just another thing to take into consideration.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I didn't want to spend a lot because the crib has such limited use.  The one we purchased does happen to convert to a double, but we want a twin in his room eventually, not a dobule.  I would rather he have more space to play.

We bought the Graco Stanton crib on Amazon for about $159 shipped for free.  The front comes off and it turns into a toddler daybed without any additional hardware needed.  I think we spent about $60 on a mattress.

The dresser was either $299 or $399 and I expect it to last through his childhood.

Then there's a leather armchair we had bought for our office last year that never really got any use, so we moved it into the nursery.  I think it was about $500, but we wouldn't have spent that much if we had to specifically purchase one for his room.

We bought two leather Moroccan ottoman/poufs (turquoise and green to match his room) which were about $120 each.  One is at the foot of the armchair to be used as an ottoman, and the other under the window to be used as extra seating one day.

I opted to avoid a bookcase for now.  I had random knick-knacks and clutter, and knew a bookcase would lend itself to such.  So instead we mounted 4 book ledges on the wall.  They won't be in his reach for a few years which is great.  I think well just throw a basket with some books on the floor.  I like knowing his room will be pretty child-proof the first few years.  Bookcases are tall and narrow so they're pretty easy to pull down.

Oh, and we spent about $100 on a rug from the home section on the Urban Outfitters website.

• Options

I agonized over which crib to get for months. We ended up spending about 1000 for both dresser and crib. We went with the Stratton set made by Westwood based on Baby Bargains, reviews and ect. We are actually picking it up today Yay!  I'm not sure how it will hold up, but we are hoping it will last through two babies. :)

Good luck! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We went with more expensive furniture for our baby.  I did not like any of the cheaper sets.  I think it is better to spend money on furniture and things like that because you will have it for a long time.  I was going to do the convertible crib but decided not to because I plan on having our next child in a couple of years. due to that I will need to buy a bed or crib and figured that a bed could be cheaper then a new crib.  If I wasn't planning on this then I would have bought the expensive convertible crib.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Three years ago we spend 700 between crib, dresser, and conversion rails.  We got a DaVinci Jayden, I love it has converted well.  Right now it is still in the toddler bed stage.  We bought for this little man DaVinci again but Emily this time in black and since it is a small room got a mini crib only converts into a twin between crib, rails, mattress, and dresser we spend 516. 
    Birthday BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Hey Everyone, thanks for the feedback. As for the funiture. I was pretty suprised how much the whole set (crib $400, conversion set $300, 2 dressers $600/each, changing table $150) cost. I will keep looking, I do like the look of the Lauren. My husband wanted to get a total set that matches, it seems to do so it will cost an arm and a leg.

Do any of you guys use a long dresser for a changing table? Rather than purchasing a separate one with sides? It looks dangerous, with no straps to hold it on, but maybe I'm not thinking it through.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"