3rd Trimester
Options

Will your OB see you for other issues?

Long story short, I've had a persistent cough all week that is pretty phlegmy. My general practitioner doctor's office has been a real pain in the butt about getting me in this week, but it's most likely due to holidays, etc.

I have a OB appt this afternoon, do you think she will take a look at my cough/chest if I ask as well?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Will your OB see you for other issues?

• Options

imageajckie:
    Since you already have an appointment,  I'd be surprised if she didn't look at it when you ask. Whether or not she could prescribe you something I think has to do with the laws in your state. My mom's OB used to see her for everything, pregnant or not, because it was simpler and then some laws changed and she had to stop going for non OB issues. But since you're preggo and already will be in the office, I think it's a safe bet. Good luck and feel better!

Thanks, I sure hope she does. I hate feeling like this! Tongue Tied

• Options
    No, they may do simple things like look down my throat or in my ear but they won't diagnose anything. That's what my family doctor is for.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Mine will.... but that's because my OB is my general practice doctor. She'll also be LOs pediatrician. 

:P  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• Options
    It varies from doctor to doctor, and like PP said, may be due to state regulations.  My OB has me go to my GP for anything else, but she did tell me that if my toddler came down with the flu to call and she would send me in a script for Tamiflu as a preventative measure.  Since you already have an appt, hopefully she'll be able to write you a script if necessary.
  • Options
    My OB will not. When I called about having cold/flu like symptoms in the 2nd trimester, my OB's office had me go to my general practitioner. I only needed to follow up with my OB if I didn't get better.
  • Options
    My OB is the only doctor I am supposed to see during pregnancy. Whether it is a cold, or contractions, I am only able to schedule appointments with my OB during those 9 months. This reduces the risk of various medications overlapping, or one doctor not notating some medically important piece of information that could negatively affect my baby or myself during those months. I would think you OB would be more than happy to take a listen to your lungs. 
    Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My OB said I can use her for everything when I'm expecting.   I had kidney stones and a cold while pregnant and she is who I called! 

• Options

This really depends on your doctors' preferences and training. My OB basically becomes my primary care during pregnancy - I am to call her for everything. She will then determine if she wants to handle it or not. Her rationale is that even though me and my PCP might think something is unrelated to pregnancy, it could have ramifications and she should know.

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Options
    My OB and general practice Dr share the same office, so usually if I tell my OB or GP at my appointment what's going on, they'll treat as they can and go get the other Dr. if they can't. Yesterday when I was in the OB office with the flu, they just sent a nurse w/ a swab in from the other side of the office for me. My GP also does pediatrics so it's going to be nice keeping everything/everyone under one roof!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine see me for anything while I am pregnant.

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, absolutely.  I think it's important that the OB at least knows about that stuff too - to make sure the prescription is safe, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageRaeily:

Mine will.... but that's because my OB is my general practice doctor. She'll also be LOs pediatrician. 

This is the same for me. I see a family doc (who also practices OB) for everything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageRaeily:

I am jealous of this. Quite jealous!  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Well, I went ahead and asked and figured the worst thing that could happen is that she'd say no, but she said she would just give me some antibiotics. Since she couldn't confirm if it was an infection or not and she doesn't want me to have any respiratory issues before my c-section. Hoping this Z-pack will do the trick!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"