March 2013 Moms
Options

STMs: Shopping question / Completion discount

My DH and I are first time parents and are doing everything on our own. We are not being thrown a shower. Our parents are not contributing to setting up the nursery or buying any of the baby stuff. We've saved up and are financially in good shape to buy everything ourselves. We expect we'll get some non-essential gifts from friends after LO is born, but know the bulk of it will be on us.

I keep hearing there is so little that you need at first and have made a good list of those items, which we plan to buy in early January after the holidays. My question though is should we just go on a spree and buy everything then? Or wait for the completion discount? When do they offer that to you? I keep thinking that our world is going to be turned upside down after the LO arrives and the last thing we'll have time or sanity for is a trip to BBB. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: STMs: Shopping question / Completion discount

• Options
    If you know that you're buying things on your own, I'd just tell them your due date is earlier than it is so that you get the completion coupon early and can buy your big essentials.  It isn't like they're going to be checking your medical chart!
  • Options

I have heard they send it 6-8 weeks ahead of time. I would start shopping now  vs. buying everything at once as you can save $$ when you find good deals on stuff. There are a lot of sales right now and you can also find gently used stuff on the bigger items. I have liked shopping on Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist. I have also bought stuff at PBK, the land of nod, BRU, and BBB, but I wait until I have a coupon to shop at these stores. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I accidentally put the date on my BRU one as my shower date January 5. I got it in the mail before thanksgiving I thibk
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Also, remember that there are all those 20% off coupons for BBB.  I think I have a  stack of 20 at this point from what they send me in the mail and from Destination Maternity, etc. Way better than 10%, and they cannot be combined.  I asked. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

What is a "completion discount"?  Maybe I'm missing out on something.  :)

Thanks!

• Options

imageCBomback:
    Also, remember that there are all those 20% off coupons for BBB.  I think I have a  stack of 20 at this point from what they send me in the mail and from Destination Maternity, etc. Way better than 10%, and they cannot be combined.  I asked. :)

Oh, yes. I have a BIG stack of these. I was thinking (hoping:) they could be combined for 30% off. Good to know! 

• Options
    imageemfolstad:

What is a "completion discount"?  Maybe I'm missing out on something.  :)

Thanks!

I *think* it's an offer for 10% off buying the unpurchased items from your registry. Is that right STMs?

• Options
    imagebeforesunrise:

I keep thinking that our world is going to be turned upside down after the LO arrives and the last thing we'll have time or sanity for is a trip to BBB. 

I'm all for planning ahead but you are going to be able to run out and get something if you need it. Honestly, you will probably want to get out of the house.  I totally overbought last time and had every single thing at home but we didn't use half of it and we easily could have made a quick run to BBB or BRU if we needed something.  You can go, you can send your husband, your mom, whatever.   Just a thought!

image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    I think you best best is setting up a registry on Amazon with an early due date.  They require the registry to be active at least 14 days before your due date, so make sure you "make up" your due date accordingly.  You get a 10% discount on eligible items with the discount.  I find the majority of the items will be cheaper with the 20% discount at BBB or BRU.  I did do a lot of comparison shopping though to decide where to buy what.  There were things that I bought at BRU with a 20% coupon that were cheaper than amazon.  You can set up a registry at multiple locations with the same items and then decide when it comes to buy.  Have fun!

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"