June 2012 Moms
Options

Introducing solids

Hi ladies,

I'm not a regular poster but was wondering if I could get your input - what solids you have introduced to your LOs first (if you have, that is). DS will be 6 months on the 18th and my mom has started insisting that BFing is no longer enough for him, which I will ask the pedi's opinion on when we go in for his check up. I have noticed that he seems very interested in what we're eating and have thought about giving him a taste of things once we have the pedi's ok. If you have introduced solids to your LO, what was your first choice(s)?   

Thanks in advance!

Re: Introducing solids

• Options
    First of all- Breastfeeding your son is wonderful and gives him all the nutrients he needs. Don't let anyone make you feel like you need to stop or you're not giving him what he needs. 

As for Solids- We started with Carrots. We fed them once a day (one oz) for 4 days, then we went to sweet potatoes, then apples, bananas, and butternut squash. We also do mixes with him. Butternut squash and apples, sweet potatoes and apples, sweet potatoes and squash, apples and bananas. This week were going to start the green foods, like peas. 

Good first foods are avocados, bananas, carrots, and sweet potatoes. =)

Check out https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/! Thats a great source of info on starting solids and how to make them yourself if you're interested in that! (its a huge money saver!) 

Good luck! =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am also interested. DS will be 6 months on the 23rd an recently started to drink more ounces and even waking up more hungry in the middle of the night starting this week! He's also been trying to grab at what we're eating. I was thinking about starting rice cereal or oatmeal this weekend and then some kind of vege pure next week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageStarbear06:
    I am also interested. DS will be 6 months on the 23rd an recently started to drink more ounces and even waking up more hungry in the middle of the night starting this week! He's also been trying to grab at what we're eating. I was thinking about starting rice cereal or oatmeal this weekend and then some kind of vege pure next week.

we completely skipped cereal and oatmeal. The pedi told us it wasn't required to do them. We tried once with cereal and he hated it. I tasted it and it was like cardboard! ICK. haha! He was much happier with the carrots when we started those. lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageAliciaS1411:
    First of all- Breastfeeding your son is wonderful and gives him all the nutrients he needs. Don't let anyone make you feel like you need to stop or you're not giving him what he needs. 

As for Solids- We started with Carrots. We fed them once a day (one oz) for 4 days, then we went to sweet potatoes, then apples, bananas, and butternut squash. We also do mixes with him. Butternut squash and apples, sweet potatoes and apples, sweet potatoes and squash, apples and bananas. This week were going to start the green foods, like peas. 

Good first foods are avocados, bananas, carrots, and sweet potatoes. =)

Check out https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/! Thats a great source of info on starting solids and how to make them yourself if you're interested in that! (its a huge money saver!) 

Good luck! =)
    I'm set on BFing him as long as possible but my mom's comment did bring to mind the fact that he has been waking up more during the night, as well as wanting to nurse more during the day. I'll ask the pedi her thoughts, I might have to give him a bit of solids to help keep him full.

I'll definitely take a look at the link you posted, thank you so much!
  • Options
    i ebf too...and i give him solids once a day ..he eats anywhere from one to three oz..we started with gerber rice cereal...
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagespeer06:

In line with what Alicia said, breastfeeding does provide all of the nutrients your baby needs.  There is a pretty vicious 6 month growth spurt as well, don't let that confuse you with your milk not being enough.  Jess has been exclusively breastfed for 6 months.  We started solids last Sunday and honestly, I'm pretty sure she'd be perfectly happy with just the boob.  She does seem interested in what we eat and even looks at us and chomps her mouth while we eat.

We completely skipped oatmeal/rice and started with sweet potatoes on Sunday and switched to avocados on Thursday.  We'll probably move to squash next or maybe some other vegetable, it's yet to be determined.  Right now we give her one tablespoon once a day and will gradually increase the frequency and amount.

Just remember when it seems like your baby might not 'like' something that this is a new texture, flavor, and method of eating (spoon).  It generally takes 11 exposures to something, maybe more, for your child to decide that they don't like something.  So, after a few new foods, go back and visit one that they didn't seem to like previously.  Good luck!

Did you puree the avocado and if so how with water, breast milk?  I introduced it to DD closer to 9 months and just mashed it but I am thinking it doing sweet potatoes first, followed by avocado this time given it has so many healthy fats but I am not sure what I should do to it to make it a ?first food?. 

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"