Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Baby won't sleep in bassinet

We brought our daughter home one month ago tomorrow. I was in the hospital four nights and she slept okay in the basinet at the hospital. She even slept fine in the bassinet the first night we had her here. Since then getting her to sleep has been a nightmare! We have had to put her to sleep in her bouncy chair, in the carseat, in bed with me, everywhere but the bassinet on her back. Needless to say we are exhausted.

A friend gave me Dr. Weissbluth's Healthy Sleep, Happy Baby book and I'v been reading it, but is it too early to begin sleep training a one-month old?

There is so much conflicting information out there. One pediatrician told us to keep her awake during the day, however that is at odds with Dr. Weissbluth's advice. Another pediatrician told us to put her in her bassinet and as long as she is dry, fed, and warm to let her cry herself to sleep. She does not cry herself to sleep! She cried the whole night and we woke up at two-hour intervals to feed her. It was awful. 

Has this happened to anyone else? We want her to eventually sleep in her bassinet/crib as that is the safest place for her to sleep and it's disruptive to our sleep if she sleeps in bed with me.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby won't sleep in bassinet

• Options
    I'm kinda going thru the same thing. My lo wont sleep in his crib for very long. Maybe a half an hour a most. And I know what you mean when you say exhausting!! He'll sleep everywhere else like my bed and his pack n play but not the crib. Does swaddling help you any? Me personally, I just let him sleep with me for now. I know it might not be the bet thing but if I can get a little more rest and he's safe then I'm going for it. Plus I count bare hearing him cry so much being how young he is. 
  • Options
    Swaddling worked for a while, but now she likes to have her limbs free or she seems to get panicky. She is sleeping in the bed with me where we nurse to sleep, and my husband has been sleeping on the couch. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageLosaJrTomasi:
    I'm kinda going thru the same thing. My lo wont sleep in his crib for very long. Maybe a half an hour a most. And I know what you mean when you say exhausting!! He'll sleep everywhere else like my bed and his pack n play but not the crib. Does swaddling help you any? Me personally, I just let him sleep with me for now. I know it might not be the bet thing but if I can get a little more rest and he's safe then I'm going for it. Plus I count bare hearing him cry so much being how young he is. 

This. Our LO won't sleep in anything right now....we have an empty bassinet, rock n play, crib, swing, etc. Sometimes he will sit while we move laundry, go to the restroom, etc. but sleep....never. He is in the bed with us so that everyone can get a least a few hours. We clear the bed, and make sure he is as safe as possible BUT since we have no other options (screaming all not is out of the question) it's the best we can do and still manage during the day. AND he is actually happier now.....and we have stop hating him. :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our LO mostly sleeps in her swing and I'm on  the couch.  She has slept in her crib a couple of times, but she always sleeps longer and better in her swing.  She never took to her bassinet either.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Is there a way to prop up the bassinet at one end?  We've had to do that with both boys due to reflux (which started to show up around 2 weeks) and DS #2 is still in the newborn napper part of the pack 'n play until he's too heavy for it.  Have you read "Happiest Baby on the Block"?  It's pretty good and it basically says that for the first 3-4 months you can't create bad habits, so do what you can to get some sleep. 

With DS #1 we had him sleep in the carseat for a while and actually put it in the crib on someones advice when transitioning him to the crib.  It worked out pretty well.

Preston!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We're pretty much in the same boat! LO was in the NICU the first week and he slept fine in the bassinet there. When we came home, we immediately started in the RNP and he was fine there. Once he hit 2 months, we wanted him to sleep flat on his back in the PNP or crib and we haven't had success yet. LO will sometimes sleep with us if we can't get him back to sleep and we are too exhausted to do anything else. We can rock him to sleep, but as soon as we lay him down in the PNP or crib, he cries within 5 minutes. We started on a "sleep training" schedule but that was mostly to get him to sleep through the night. He is still in his RNP but he does sleep until at least 5 a.m. We haven't tried the PNP or crib lately, but I'm determined that if we have no success by the time he's 3 months I'll start to let him CIO to a certain extent. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
      Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I am proCIO but 1 month is way too young. They do not have the ability to self soothe until at least 4 months. If LO hates the bassinet that much and he sleeps well somewhere else I say no rush to move. I started DD2 napping in the bassinet today and luckily she liked it. She has been sleeping in the bouncy chair or swing up until now.
    DD1 9.15.10  DD2 11.2.12
  • Options
    Please please please read Happiest Baby on the Block. Making a one month old CIO makes my heart ache, and no sleep professional (even those that advocate CIO) recommend sleep training before at least 6 months. Let your baby sleep anywhere that is safe. Worry about transitions much later.
    Monique (38), Wife to Steve (32), Mom to DS Sacha (4), DS Ronen due Aug. 1st! BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"