3rd Trimester
Options

Black cohosh?

I'm at 41 weeks (I swear he's not gonna come til February, after carpal tunnel gets aso bad that my arms fall off.  I might be losing my mind a bit.)  I got some black cohosh tablets a while back just in case, since nowhere near my new home carries such things.  The ones I have are only 20 mg.  I can find guidelines for 540 mg doses, but I can't find anything with guidelines on how to take the low dosage variety I got.  Anyone else have guidelines on it?
DS born 12/2012
Little Squeaker due 6/2015

Re: Black cohosh?

• Options

Dude, that shiz doesn't cause labor. It's an herbal abortion.

ETA ok, I read up some more. It can be used to induce labor. However, it is commonly used for an herbal abortion as well. Scary shiz man. I didn't see any directions for what you want either. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    Dude, that shiz doesn't cause labor. It's an herbal abortion.ETA ok, I read up some more. It can be used to induce labor. However, it is commonly used for an herbal abortion as well. Scary shiz man. I didn't see any directions for what you want either.nbsp;

OMG, get a grip. Anything that will cause contractions or induce labor would be considered an "abortion" if you're in early pregnancy. It's not an abortion if your baby is full term, just like its only a miscarriage if you deliver the baby before its viable.
    As for the OP, I believe most midwives use blue and black cohosh in conjunction to induce labor. I don't know the dosages, but you should make sure you get your info from someone who knows what they're doing. They are strong herbs.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Herbal remedies can be just as potent as OTC pharmaceuticals and really should be treated as such. I wouldn't take herbal remedies unless advised by a doctor (both the amount and that it's okay to use). 

If you're not an MD or a Naturopath I'd steer clear.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageTreschic81:
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    Dude, that shiz doesn't cause labor. It's an herbal abortion.ETA ok, I read up some more. It can be used to induce labor. However, it is commonly used for an herbal abortion as well. Scary shiz man. I didn't see any directions for what you want either.nbsp;
    OMG, get a grip. Anything that will cause contractions or induce labor would be considered an "abortion" if you're in early pregnancy. It's not an abortion if your baby is full term, just like its only a miscarriage if you deliver the baby before its viable. As for the OP, I believe most midwives use blue and black cohosh in conjunction to induce labor. I don't know the dosages, but you should make sure you get your info from someone who knows what they're doing. They are strong herbs.

Dude, I know what a farking miscarriage is. Obviously you didn't see my siggy, I've had one. No need to be a ***. I was just pointing out that it might not be such a good idea to use something they also market as a herbal abortion. No need to be such a snarky b!tch over general concern and bring miscarriages and shiz like that into it. Some of us know what one is like. Like me, and they suck. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageTreschic81:
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    OMG, get a grip. Anything that will cause contractions or induce labor would be considered an "abortion" if you're in early pregnancy. It's not an abortion if your baby is full term, just like its only a miscarriage if you deliver the baby before its viable. As for the OP, I believe most midwives use blue and black cohosh in conjunction to induce labor. I don't know the dosages, but you should make sure you get your info from someone who knows what they're doing. They are strong herbs.

Dude, I know what a farking miscarriage is. Obviously you didn't see my siggy, I've had one. No need to be a ***. I was just pointing out that it might not be such a good idea to use something they also market as a herbal abortion. No need to be such a snarky b!tch over general concern and bring miscarriages and shiz like that into it. Some of us know what one is like. Like me, and they suck. 

Um, "DUDE" I wasn't being snarky...you saying "scary shiz" multiple times in your response was what I was addressing.  There's no need to fear monger about something you don't have a lot of info on.  Lots of herbs are contraindicated in early pregnancy because they can cause contractions...which is why trained professionals only use them in late pregnancy to induce.  I'm sorry you suffered a miscarriage, but in my opinion, you bringing up abortion is the same as me referencing miscarriage.  Thanks for calling me a B!tch...clearly I'm the aggressive snarky one! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageTreschic81:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageTreschic81:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

Um, "DUDE" I wasn't being snarky...you saying "scary shiz" multiple times in your response was what I was addressing.  There's no need to fear monger about something you don't have a lot of info on.  Lots of herbs are contraindicated in early pregnancy because they can cause contractions...which is why trained professionals only use them in late pregnancy to induce.  I'm sorry you suffered a miscarriage, but in my opinion, you bringing up abortion is the same as me referencing miscarriage.  Thanks for calling me a B!tch...clearly I'm the aggressive snarky one! 

Whatever, obviously you don't see the point of things. I get that it is used as a way of inducing. I edited that into my post. I did a quick google search as to what it was since I've never heard of it. The first 3 or 4 pages I read was all about using it to end a pregnancy. So you have my initial reaction, then I edited to include that it is used for inductions. However, I personally wouldn't use something thats also used as an herbal abortion. I have a sense of humor in most of posts. Sorry you cannot comprehend reading very well. I wasn't trying to fear monger. Just stating that I personally wouldn't use something thats secondary use is for abortions. Just sayin'.

• Options
    If you have an herb store nearby you can get a tincture called mothers star.  My midwives recommended it when I was a week late. It contains black and blue cohosh. I went into labor the day I used it, which may have been a coincidence.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"