March 2013 Moms
Options

Dangers of sleeping?

I try to go to sleep straight on my side, but I always wake up numerous times in the night half on my belly/half on my side OR straight on my back. Since I'm a light sleeper, this worrying forces me to wake up a million times a night.

My question is, how dangerous is it really? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dangers of sleeping?

• Options
    I'd like to know some insight on this as well. I do the same thing and it freaks me out!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I talked to my doctor about this and she said waking up on your back is fine, when you wake up its your body'sway of telling you to go back to your side
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageAshy baby:
    I talked to my doctor about this and she said waking up on your back is fine, when you wake up its your body'sway of telling you to go back to your side

This, exactly. Your body will wake you when or if its needed. FWIW, I rarely sleep on my left side. I like to lay as much as my belly as I can, with a pillow as cushion making it more comfortable. I know very few pregnant people who manage to lay on their left side all night long.

• Options
    I can't just lay on my left side, if I'm in 1 spot too long my hips start hurting. So, I alternate between sides, I've never really been a back sleeper.
    Alexander 03/13/2008 Jace 03/20/2013 

• Options
    imageAshy baby:

This.

Also, I use a boppy total body pillow which really helps. You basically sleep with your arms and legs wrapped around it, which stabilizes you so you won't roll around much, and it takes pressure of your hips and lower back. I can't sleep on my side without it.

I also do like to lay on my back at times, the pillow helps with that too, you just lay with it under one side. So it feels like you're sleeping on your back but you're really at an angle so the blood flows freely.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I'm 23 weeks with twins right now measuring 8 weeks ahead if I were having a singleton so I'm more so looking and feeling 31 weeks pregnant and I'm still sleeping on my side back and stomach. YES MY STOMACH! I was so nervous because I would wake up like this and when I asked the DR she said that, like pp said, your body will naturally awaken itself when you need to reposition.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Have you tried a pregnancy pillow? My hips started to hurt when I slept really early on - even before I started to get a belly. Someone suggested a pregnancy pillow and it really worked. I always thought the pillows were mainly to support the growing belly but I was wrong. When I use it my hips are fine and the nights I fall asleep without it, I wake up throughout the night because of my hips.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I do the same thing and my Doc told me that it's fine. She said she has 3 kids and slept on her back with all three and they are perfectly fine. She said the only thing you really need to worry about is sleeping on your stomach. I usually wake up with hip pain if I roll on to my back in my sleep, so I just roll back to my side and don't worry about it. If you are worried, put a pillow behind you. It will keep you from rolling backwards. I never roll onto my stomach because I hold a pillow while I sleep, plus it is SO uncomfortable!
  • Options
    I try so hard to sleep on my left side. I use a wedge to help when it gets uncomfortable under my belly however I ALWAYS wake up on my back. It's been driving me nuts because I'll turn back over on my side only to wake up yet again on my back. Sometimes dh will wake me up and tell me to turn over that I'm on my back. :( I've always been a belly sleeper but pregnancy has made me a back sleeper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"