Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Back of throat collapses when breathing

My LO is 2 mos. old and is a very noisy breather.  The pedi has a name for this condition tho I can't pronounce it let alone spell it. Basically the back of his throat is collapsing when he is breathing.  It is not cutting his air off just constricting the space making it noisy. The pedi believes he will out grow it by 12 mos. He needs to be in an inclined position when sleeping.  I have 2 questions

1.  Anyone else dealing with this?

2.  What recommendations do you have for inclined sleeping? We are transitioning to the crib.  I thought wedges were no longer recommended?

TIA for your help.

imageimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Back of throat collapses when breathing

• Options
    I do not have a situation like yours but we incline LO's bed due to reflux.  We rolled up a towel and put it under the mattress of her crib. Works great and is FREE! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It sounds like what your talking about is Tracheomalacia or Laryngomalacia.

My LO was diagnosed w/ Tracheomalacia @ 1 wk old. It's sounds scarier than it really is. You can google and find out alot of info on these. My Dr. told me that cartilage all grows at the same time so you'll know if the cartilage in the throat is getting firmer by feeling her ears and nose cause they all firm up at the same time. My Dr. is funny also and he was telling me we'll be spending alot more time defending what our LO's have, cause grandparents, friends, strangers are all gonna look and ask questions. NON STOP!!!. But just know it's not too serious. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageAnxiousmami:

It sounds like what your talking about is Tracheomalacia or Laryngomalacia.

My LO was diagnosed w/ Tracheomalacia @ 1 wk old. It's sounds scarier than it really is. You can google and find out alot of info on these. My Dr. told me that cartilage all grows at the same time so you'll know if the cartilage in the throat is getting firmer by feeling her ears and nose cause they all firm up at the same time. My Dr. is funny also and he was telling me we'll be spending alot more time defending what our LO's have, cause grandparents, friends, strangers are all gonna look and ask questions. NON STOP!!!. But just know it's not too serious. :)

thanks for your response.  and youre right about family as great grandma went to the dr appt with me and I got a lecture from her later that evening.  In one ear & out the other as hes my child. It didn't seem to be a prob for the dr so I was trying not to worry but as a mom you know how hard that is.

imageimage 

• Options

Our son's crib mattress is inclined due to reflux.  We use pillows to incline it and bought a Tucker Sling to keep him rolling down.  It works very well.

https://www.tuckersling.com/khxc/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=CribMattress 

if you know someone who can sew they could probably make it pretty easily. 

• Options
    My son has laryngomalacia, which it sounds like you're talking about. Back sleeping doesn't work at all for him, and even the Rock N Play wasn't working even though it's an incline. The ENT Dr. suggested putting him on his side to sleep. Honestly, i let him start sleeping on his tummy and his breathing and sleeping have improved 100%. It's obviously not recommended, but for us, it's what he needed. 

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"