December 2012 Moms
Options

NBR - Brunch menu - wwyd?

Hi Ladies,

So. As many of you know, we're down in New Zealand.  We have no family down here and are slowly making friends.

We've managed to get one of DH's work colleagues to look after DD when I go in to labour.  We met up a couple of weekends ago, and DH & I agree that she should come over to our place to look after DD (long story there), vs. DD going to the colleague's house.

So to get them/her oriented to our place, we're inviting them over this weekend.  DH asked her yesterday and said "you can come over for brunch".  No probs on my end - however DH's thought about brunch is a "bunch of finger-food things"..... Now I love DH more than life itself, and chuckled outwardly and inwardly when he said this, but also inwardly went - "Oh crap".

This is where the difficulty comes in.  In New Zealand, there are no Kraft or Pillsbury products (seriously - this is killing me) and we just don't have access to all the awesome products and produce at a cheap $ like Canada/the US does.  (For example - 1/2lb of bacon is $8NZ here....I kid you not).

So I'm at a complete loss as to what to serve - can you help me?

This is what I currently have planned that won't break the bank:

-peach scones with jam (easy & cheap)

-fresh oj

-??????

I'm starting to think about this now so I can plan $ and have time to make what needs to be done with a toddler and me being 37 weeks.

Thank you so much for your help!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: NBR - Brunch menu - wwyd?

• Options
    Mini quiches, fruit platter, crossants, tarts....not sure how practical any of this is where you are. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Pancakes, deviled eggs, muffins, fruit, quiche, home fries, veggie tray... Stuff like that maybe?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Add on sliced up fresh fruit and yogurt... it is summer down there right? Kiwis, peaches, and maybe apples or 3rd fruit. Worst case, they are not presliced, but you have a fruit bowl set out. Maybe some granola to go with. The suggestion of a quiche is a good idea as well. I'd say keep it light and easy though.

By the way, if there is a bakery nearby, you might be able to get one premade.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You ladies rock! Thanks for all the great suggestions - I`m going to start putting it all together tonight and have a smasher-roo spread for so very little $!  Thank you!  Left Hug
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Quiche.  Eggs are cheap and go a long way.  Pie crust is really easy to make or you can purchase a prepared crust.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My mom makes an amazing apple french toast casserole. It's called baked apple french toast, or apple french toast bake, or something like that. Maybe you could find a recipe online - it's easy and relatively few ingredients!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"