Pre-School and Daycare
Options

If you have this problem how are you handling it?

My 4 year old is an extremely hyper and wild child.  We are dealing with that.  However daycare keeps pulling me aside and telling me that she is publicly touching herself.  A few days ago she even came out of the bathroom at daycare with her pants down around her ankles touching herself.  Daycare said "This is becoming a big problem" I have talked to her pediatrician, he says not to worry just to keep reenforcing to her that this behavior isn't acceptable in public.  I am doing that.  Is anybody else having this problem, and how are you handling it?  I know it's normal I just want her to keep it out of daycare.

Re: If you have this problem how are you handling it?

• Options
    When I used to be a substitute teacher, I worked in a Kindergarten class where a girl would do this in the middle of class.  Her teacher worked with the parents and came up with a plan to tell her she should not do this in public and would send her to the bathroom to wash her hands.  The other children seemed to know she did this behavior and would let me know when she was doing it, if I didn't see it right away, and I would follow through with what the teacher had been doing.  Could you work with her daycare teacher to have a plan for it, instead of just trying to get her to stop doing it right away?  Maybe that will get her to eventually stop doing it in public.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Good idea, Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My oldest DD has been doing this on and off for a couple years.  I've always maintained that she can do this if she wants in her bedroom but not in public.  I've never seen her (or been informed) that she does it anywhere but at home
    DD#1 5 years DD#2 3 years
  • Options
    My DD does this too and has to be reminded that its private behavior/for the bedroom only.  Mostly she does it when she's bored or tired.  It seems a little unusual for your DD to do it as she walks into a room of other kids, with her pants.  Are you sure she doesn't have some kind of infection or irritation?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would be concerned that my 4 year old was doing this at school.  I am definitely not an expert, but at that age many children know that behavior is private.  You said that she is hyper and a wild child.  Have you had her evaluated by a developmental pedi or the appropriate expert?  My friend's daughter was touching herself at the age of 4 in school.  She was 'wild' in school.   She has since been diagnosed with Asperger's.  I am not saying your daughter has that but touching herself in public and hyperactivity might be a red flag for other issues.
    Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • Options

imageoutnumbered:
    I would be concerned that my 4 year old was doing this at school.  I am definitely not an expert, but at that age many children know that behavior is private.  You said that she is hyper and a wild child.  Have you had her evaluated by a developmental pedi or the appropriate expert?  My friend's daughter was touching herself at the age of 4 in school.  She was 'wild' in school.   She has since been diagnosed with Asperger's.  I am not saying your daughter has that but touching herself in public and hyperactivity might be a red flag for other issues.

Update: I just talked to her pediatrician about all this and he gave me some literature on it, things have gotten better. Her pediatrician also knows about her hyperactivity as well and isn't concerned.  At this point I dont' think she has any type of disorder nor does her pediatrician.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"