International Bumpies
Options

Are you having a baby shower in the US?

My family and friends really want to throw me a baby shower back home (we just moved to Germany in July and are having the baby here) but there is the obvious problem of how to get any gifts back besides what we can fit in our suitcases.

Re: Are you having a baby shower in the US?

• Options

My family all live in the UK and baby showers aren't big there yet. I had a small baby shower here thrown by friends from the Nest. 

If you are ok with traveling home for the shower maybe you can register on Amazon.de or .co.uk which both have a good baby stuff selection and free shipping to you that way you won't have to take lots of stuff back. Alternatively your hosted can let people know your situation so they can purchase accordingly. 

I know Pandy who sometimes posts on here had her shower in the US and had a bunch of stuff to bring back. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options
    I had one in the US while I was living in London, and only got stuff I could pack (and a stroller, which I checked in a stroller bag, a bugaboo). I think if you want one in the US you can't really register for big items like a crib or changing table, but you could register for a pack and play/stroller. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

instead of a shower, we had a 'meet the baby' party in the states when we brought dd back when she was 3 months old and I asked for just small stuff like small board books or small toys and clothes - we got mostly clothes in lots of sizes so she had a lot of stuff to grow into which was great :)

• Options
    imagemrscjmb9410:

I brought back the gifts I received that I would need immediately. My mom shipped some stuff and then brought the rest or sent it with my dad & SM when they visited.

I did not get any huge gifts though - mainly clothes, cloth diapers and toys. We'd already bought our cot (crib) and moses basket.

Same here. I went to the US when I was 6 months pregnant with DD and had a few showers there. We decided to pay the extra baggage fee for 1 additional suitcase and then I left everything bigger than 6 months to pick up during our next trip to Atlanta. Some of DH's family members all went in together and gave us a check to put towards bigger ticket items that were bought in the UK. We bought everything larger than a suitcase in the UK - stroller, cot, bouncy seat, car seat, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
  • Options

We had a baby shower in Canada on a visit "home". It was nice, but in hindsight it would have been better if anyone wanted to get a gift for us to have had them buy something on amazon.co.uk and had it delivered.

Getting things back over in suitcases was a right pain, nobody could buy big items and if they wanted to they gave us cash for it, which was nice, but not quite the same, you know? MIL gave us cash for a double stroller, which was very much appreciated, but I know she would have liked to have gone shopping for it herself, picked it out, surprised us with it, etc. You know?

Also, because of the timing of our trip, we didn't know what we were having yet, so everything everyone gave us was green or yellow! LOL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We are in Germany too.  And no, no shower.  This will be #3 so we have almost everything we could possibly need.  We have been living overseas since before DS1 was born so we have never had a shower due to logistics.

I did send birth announcements after both boys were born and close family sent gifts to welcome the new baby.  But I have never registered at a store for baby items.  Plus, I am a little picky when it comes to baby stuff and actually prefer a lot of the European baby items more than the US. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Baby showers are unheard of in Sweden. I just hosted one for a Swedish friend and only one other woman had ever been to a shower. It was fun though. I just planned a trip back to the States and my family is hosting one for me. Most likely just smaller items and $$ for the bigger items back in Sweden. I have noticed that everything is double or triple here in Sweden for baby items so getting items in the US will definitely help a little. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"