March 2013 Moms
Options

Confused over how many weeks I am

Hi ladies!

Maybe I'm really bad at math or maybe I have horrible baby brain, but I am so confused over how many weeks pregnant I am. I am due March 15th, which would make me 18 weeks and 6 days pregnant. However, when I look at several other sources, it says that I am further along than that. For example, Whattoexpect.com says I am 5 months pregnant already (how can that be?) and this website says that I am already 19 weeks pregnant. I have a couple pregnancy apps on my phone and they say 18 weeks 6 days. What confuses me the most is that I am entering the same due date into all of these sources and they are all giving me different information. 

I know my doctor should be my best resource regarding how far along I am, but I can't help but wonder if anyone else is as confused as I am. Is anyone else feeling the same way or can I just chalk this up to being a kinda dumb question (which I'm totally ok if any of you think this is a dumb question. My brain has been so lost the past couple weeks, that I feel like a walking brain stem).

Thanks girls! 

Re: Confused over how many weeks I am

• Options

I am due March 10th, and I am a few days shy of 20 weeks right now.

The calculation is based on a "typical" pregnancy lasting 40 weeks, starting on the first day of your last period.  The Mayo Clinic Guide breaks the weeks down into months based on 4 weeks in a month, which means 10 months of pregnancy. The website that says you are 6 months is probably saying 6 out of 10 months, and it sounds like they are also rounding up.

Beyond that, the actual day of ovulation may slightly alter your due date.  I didn't ovulate until the 15th day of my cycle (I was having Clomid treatments, so the Dr knows for sure what day that was), so my due date was moved back 1 day from March 9th, which is what it would have been based on my last period.

This website is giving correct information.  I would just stick with counting in weeks - it sounds more impressive, and if you are talking with other pregnant women, it is much more specific!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If you are 18w6d, that means you have completed your 18th week & 6 days into your 19th week.

04/07/11- PCOS Diagnosis w/GYN. Put on Metformin (1500 mgs)
    04/25/11- 1st consultation with RE (Confirmed PCOS & Anovulation)
    05/09/11-HSG-All clear! 05/13/11-SA-Normal. Found out on 2/14/12, low Morph (1%).
    06/17/11-10 days of Clomid (100, 150) No response.
    07/10/11-03/20/12- 5 Injectable (Follistim) IUI cycles; 4 BFN, 1 C/P. (stims ranged from 11 days to 25 days)
    05/28/12-Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. 75 mcg Synthroid.

IVF with ICSI in June/July 2013 = BFP!. Beta # 1 = 123. Beta # 2 = 252. Due March 25th. Baby boy arrived March 27, 2013!

FET #1 - 10/4/14 = BFP!! Beta #1 = 179. Beta # 2 = 499. Due June 22nd.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's pretty confusing, too, but I think of it like centuries.  Right now I'm 20 weeks 4 days, so I'm in my 21st week.  What gets really confusing is when books differ as to what weeks make up each month.  I have one that says the sixth month is weeks 21-25 and another that says it's 23-27.  It really makes my brain hurt sometimes.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageSeeca022:
    I believe it's when you are 18wks and 6 days you are in the 6th day of the 18th week. So, when you hit 19 wks, you are in the first day of the 19th wk. This is why you are "technically" not in your 2nd trimester until you hit 14 weeks, instead of 13 weeks. Since the first trimester is 13 weeks long, you have to complete the 13th week first. At least, this is what I have concluded by trying to figure it all out too!

This is how I have thought of it too... but now that I think of it that doesn't make sense.  If you think back to the first week, you would have been 0 weeks 6 days, but in your 1st week, and then when you completed that week you are 1 week.  (obviously no one is counting at 1 week but that was the easiest way to visualize it for me :) )  so, wow, that means I actually completed my 20th week already, when I thought baby wouldn't be half baked until this week!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • Options

imageSeeca022:
    I believe it's when you are 18wks and 6 days you are in the 6th day of the 18th week. So, when you hit 19 wks, you are in the first day of the 19th wk. This is why you are "technically" not in your 2nd trimester until you hit 14 weeks, instead of 13 weeks. Since the first trimester is 13 weeks long, you have to complete the 13th week first. At least, this is what I have concluded by trying to figure it all out too!

This is how I have thought of it too... but now that I think of it that doesn't make sense.  If you think back to the first week, you would have been 0 weeks 6 days, but in your 1st week, and then when you completed that week you are 1 week.  (obviously no one is counting at 1 week but that was the easiest way to visualize it for me :) )  so, wow, that means I actually completed my 20th week already, when I thought baby wouldn't be half baked until this week!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • Options
    We have the same due date. Week 1 was 0-6 days so it is like someone said about centuries. The 19th week is 18w0-18w6. Like a birthday too how when you are 1 you have completed your first year. I use FF and it says I am in the 5th month....just starting though.
    May PAL Siggy Challenge - Mom Humor
    TTC Since June 2009 
    BFP #1 - 1/15/12, EDD 9/21/12, Missed M/C - 2/10/12 - I miss you Sapphire!

BFP #2 - 7/1/12 - Met my lucky charm Alexandra on 3-16-13!!!

image image image 
    AL always welcome! 

• Options

imageracheyt0227:
    If you are 18w6d, that means you have completed your 18th week & 6 days into your 19th week.

^ this! I'm due March 15 too :)  

• Options
    Thanks girls! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused by this. Looking at it as centuries makes so much more sense now! Thanks again!
  • Options

I stick to this "pregnancy dates" calculator, which my midwife recommended to me a while back.

I enter in the EDD my midwife gives me based off ultrasound & such, and it tells me all I need to know. How far along I am now, how far along I will be on "x" date, etc. The day I hit 2nd tri, 3nd tri, etc. It's pretty nifty. :)

https://www.medcalc.com/pregnancy.html

You'll get conflicting info from different resources. Just stick to what your provider told you and disregard the websites/apps that don't match up to that.

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I have been confused by this too... and now I think I'm even more confused lol

I'm due March 16th. According to this website and a phone app yesterday started my 19th week... That's my story an' I'm stickin to it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"