Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Typical toddler behavior or crappy mom?

So my 26 month old is a super sweet little guy, full of hugs and kisses and concern when mommy has a boo boo.  I've been noticing lately that at the playground he grabs other kids or pushes them and at home when he's frustrated he'll bite or pinch myself or my husband.  Today I got a call from school that he tried to nip at the teacher and push another kid in the gym.

He gets tons of one on one time with me, so I know it's not acting out to get attention.  Though he is starting to get his 2nd molars- not sure if that's why he's a bit more irritable these days.  I try to be as consistent as possible with telling him we use gentle hands and if he does something that hurts, I tell him that "mommy doesn't want to play with you when you do that" and walk away.  

However, I can't stop feeling like a crappy mom thinking that I'm doing something wrong, or that I messed up somewhere along the way and that's why he's doing this.  

Anyone else go through this?  Any advice?  

Thanks. 

Re: Typical toddler behavior or crappy mom?

• Options

I say typical toddler frustration compounded by teething.

just keep doing what you're doing (telling him gentle touch and walking away, etc.) and it will pass. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagehopecounts:

just keep doing what you're doing (telling him gentle touch and walking away, etc.) and it will pass. 

This. Especially if he still has a limited vocabulary, he isn't able to verbally express frustration, anger, etc., so he does it physically.  

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagememali26:
    imagehopecounts:

This. Especially if he still has a limited vocabulary, he isn't able to verbally express frustration, anger, etc., so he does it physically.  

Yep.  And, try to give him the words that he needs -- I understand that you're angry, but biting hurts and if you tell me why you're mad I can help you feel happy again.  Or something like that... 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

We went thru this about a year ago w/ dd...we got a book called teeth are not for biting.  I would read it to her as her bedtime book every night for almost a month and she started to change her behavior.  The mantra in the book is "teeth are not for biting, ouch, biting hurts" and I would say exactly that - and nothing else - every time she bit.  It definitely helped!!  It would still happen occasionally until she was better at expressing her emotions but the book definitely reduced the biting, a lot!

It is so frustrating ... Good luck!   

• Options
    My son was big into biting while in the throws of his molars coming in last month. Well, they are in and the biting has stopped. No more fingers in his mouth, drooling or biting! It's like over night it started and stopped, with 3 weeks of hell in between. 
  • Options
    I am very firm with the no hit, no bite correction.  I think that the voice tone (not yelling) needs to be very different from the "play mommy" voice or the "soothe mommy" voice.  Also remember, your kid is also getting pushed and bit by other children.  Mine came home with a nip on the back and stomach.  DC had no idea because he never cried and he was rolling around on the playground with another boy wrestling and having a good time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"