February 2013 Moms
Options

colposcopy

Hi all. I was having an odd ache near my rib cage today so I decided to call my doc and make sure everything was ok. After that conversation (we think all is well but if it gets worse I need to call back) she added in that she had the results from my pap from my first visit (which was 7/29!) and that although the pap was normal, HPV came back positive. I've had positive tests since 2006 so no surprise there. But then she went on to say that it is a higher risk strand and she wants me to come in for a colposcopy. So now I am just stressed out and nervous and I know part of this is just hormones and I have had a lot going on outside of the pregnancy for the past month. Now its just one more thing to deal with.  

Re: colposcopy

• Options

This may make you feel a little better.................I had a colposcopy done a few weeks back.  I was extremely nervous too and stressed that I DID NOT want a biopsy done because it was to risky.  Doc agreed with me  A biopsy is where they take a piece of tissue from your cervix at the same time as colposcopy.  The procedure was a breeze, actually easier than a PAP.  Doc said looks low grade and we can revisit after birth.  Birth may even cause the cells to shed.  So try not to worry too much, you'll be just fine!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That does help, thank you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know how you feel. My pap for HPV came back positive after my lo was born last summer. They did the colposcopy and a biopsy. I had mild dysplasia, so they had to lasar that part of my cervix. Honestly, in the end it wasn't a big deal. THat was back in February. They checked again in May and all was clear. I have to go back for another pap in September. I hope your results are good. My doc said if it does come back, we will wait until after baby #2 arrives in February to do the procedure again. It's really normal these days -- I've had several friends who had the same procedure. GOod luck!
  • Options
    imageMarianneS1102:

This may make you feel a little better.................I had a colposcopy done a few weeks back.  I was extremely nervous too and stressed that I DID NOT want a biopsy done because it was to risky.  Doc agreed with me  A biopsy is where they take a piece of tissue from your cervix at the same time as colposcopy.  The procedure was a breeze, actually easier than a PAP.  Doc said looks low grade and we can revisit after birth.  Birth may even cause the cells to shed.  So try not to worry too much, you'll be just fine!

This just about exactly!! As long as your doctor doesn't take a biopsy you should be fine! I was a little sore after from them poking around but not for long!

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think the part that bothered me most was saying that it is the high risk kind. Cancer already runs in my family so this really scares. And I woke up wondering if the LO is ok and I think I am just feeling extra sensitive today. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"