Special Needs
Options

DD got fitted for her hearing aids today..

It was awful lol. She hates to be touched unless she initiates it so she screamed the whole time, I hated to hold her down but it was over quickly thank goodness. They should be ready in a little over 3 weeks, so now we wait.

If your child wears aids how did you keep them in? Im really worried about DD ripping them out and not wanting anything to do with them.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: DD got fitted for her hearing aids today..

• Options
    We used pilot caps when she was little. I got one from www.silkawear.com, but the Hanna Andersson ones work well too. 
    Anniversary Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We used pilot caps from Hanna Anderson too. You may want to get a lanyard that clips on to her clothes. We also had to take off Nate's aids in the car or he would dismantle and fling them everywhere. A trick they use at our school for the deaf on older children is to let your child have a favorite movie or music on and use the aids as the only way they can hear it. This method worked really well for a little boy who hated to wear his aids but loved music. He was two.
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I will look into those pilot caps, this is all new to me and Im so thankful that they have come so far in the hearing aid department. I was overwhelmed with color choices.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I don't have anything personal to add but I just wanted to say how exciting for you!  I can't imagine the difference and seeing their faces light up when they are in!  I bet it's practically magical.  Good luck hope the next 3 weeks fly by!!
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options

You may get lucky, DS does not like to be bothered either. We made all kinds of preparations, pilot caps, earphones for DH and myself, the whole nine yards. He gave us a bit of a fight for the fitting but to our surprise he was cool with the actual HA. He did'nt protest then and he doesn't now. He tries to put them in whenever he wakes up and only time he tries to take them out is if the molds are not a good fit or if he is sleepy.

Btw DS is 2 this Thursday and he first got fitted 2 weeks after his first birthday. Good luck. 

• Options

I bought a bunch of headbands like this from etsy.  It helped keep them in until she was used to wearing them.  Now she (mostly) hates going without them.  I also bought some "tube riders" & hearing aid stickers which she loves.  I made some little haring aids for her stuffed kangaroo and she got a kick out of that. 

Photobucket Sydney Elise 5/9/09 Kate Reese 8/2/11
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't have any advice as to how to keep them in. Layla wore them willingly. But, once your LO actually hears the difference, you may not have any troubles. As a PP said, their reaction to sound is amazing! I wish I would have had a camera ready when Layla actually heard background noise for the first time (birds chirping, kids laughing in the distance), seriously a great moment. It will get better with time. Layla only wanted to wear her HAs for half days, sometimes only for a few hours. Now, I have a hard time getting her to take them out.
  • Options
    Just a lurker but I been wearing hearing aids bilateral since I was 4. I know I use to take them out and give them to the dog it drove my mom crazy. I would recommend taking them out every once in awhile because the backround noise can be to loud and the noise could cause headaches. At the movie theater you can go to the information booth and they have ear phones she can wear to adjust the volume so tthe movie wont be to loud and cause a severe headache. GL :D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My 9 month old has had a unilateral HA for about a month now. Our audiologist recommended the silkawear bonnets, but they are kind of pricey. You can get the Hannah Anderson ones for alot cheaper and they work just as well. We also do stretchy headbands and they don't seem to give feedback like I was worried about. Our HA kit came with a Gear for Ears lanyard that you hook to their shirt, but this specific one was bilateral and was a nude color with zebra print, so totally not appropriate for my DD, but we did order a pink unilateral one.

I have read other places that wig or toupee tape can be used, but as of now, our HA is a loaner as we are waiting for our insurance and state BCMH to hash out who is paying for what. I don't want to get this loaner one all goopy with tape if we have to end up giving it back.

FWIW, we prepared with the mindset that she was going to rip them out all the time and so far, she doesn't mind them. She screams when we put them in, but thats just because she has to sit still for 5 seconds, then she's fine and it hasn't bee as bad as I was anticipating.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I forgot to add that you can get alot of accessories for HA's. They make stickers, tube riders, and you can get all different colors of ear molds. We chose a pink and purple glitter ear mold, and our 2.5 year old gets jealous of her baby sister who gets to wear something sparkly in her ear. You could always make the HA look very girly so it is something that your DD will want to wear.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagefuturemrsmcnichols:
    I forgot to add that you can get alot of accessories for HA's. They make stickers, tube riders, and you can get all different colors of ear molds. We chose a pink and purple glitter ear mold, and our 2.5 year old gets jealous of her baby sister who gets to wear something sparkly in her ear. You could always make the HA look very girly so it is something that your DD will want to wear.

This is a good point! Layla's HAs are purple, and the molds are pink/purple swirl. There are many kids her age that WANT HAs because hers are "cool" or pretty...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"