2nd Trimester
Options

Strech mark prevention

Hi there, does anyone have any preventative ideas for strech marks? I know they say cocoa butter is best but I cannot tolerate the smell! Ew! I know there have to be other things out there. What have you gals tried and what works? Thanks!!  I'm 4 mos along, so far no strech marks...

Re: Strech mark prevention

• Options
    hope that you have good genes.  It's hereditary.
    BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • Options
    My mom or grandmother did not get any, so fingers crossed!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ditto on heredity.  No matter what you hear on the Palmer's Cocoa Butter commercials, there's really nothing you can do to prevent them...if it's going to happen, it's going to happen whether you slather on the salves and balms or not.

FWIW, I got a few w/ DS#1 & a couple months in, they faded so much that you really couldn't tell they were there.

Since you said your mom & grandma didn't have them, hopefully you won't get them either.

DS1 November 2009
    DS2 August 2012
  • Options
    There is no such thing as prevention.  It is hereditary. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options

Agree with PPs; however, you can buy unscented Palmer's Cocoa Butter.  I don't mind the smell of the original stuff (and it has been working miracles on my pregnancy induced, horrendously dry skin!), but I have seen unscented recently at Wal-Mart.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well about the whole hereditary thing, I'd like to say that my Mom and sister got them but I never got any. I used Spoiled Mama Tummy Butter and Bio Oil when pregnant with DD1 and am using Palmer's Cocoa Butter and Bio Oil with this pregnancy. I use it twice a day. Hoping I escape them once again!
  • Options
    I've been using the Palmer's cocoa butter - no stretch marks thus far! I honestly don't think the smell is too overwhelming....
  • Options
    I have the same issue with the Palmers.....hate the smell and it gives me red itchy bumps. I have been using Mama Mio products, tummy butter and tummy oil (all natural). They smell amazing, sort of a citrus scent. I know stretch marks are hereditary, but I am 5 months along with Twins and I haven't had any itching or dry skin using these products. It's worth the $$ just to not have itchy skin!
  • Options
    agree with many others. Your genes definitely play a role. I just try to stay well hydrated and like any lotion/body butter with shea butter/oils (grapeseed, olive, etc.) and no parabens. helps my skin feel good and less itchy as the belly grows! Fingers crossed for no stetch marks this pregnancy. was lucky with the first!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm using Burt's Bees "Mama Bee" oil to keep the skin pliable so hopefully it stretches easier.  

• Options

Completely agree with genes playing the biggest role. Looking at those you are related to is better than a blind guess,  but there are no guarantees. We get genetic material from both parents, and subsequently grandparents, etc. right on down the line.

If you do get stretch marks perhaps you can blame your father :)

I knew I would get them as I just have "that type of skin". I have stretch marks (now faded of course) on my knees from growing taller in Junior High! I also have them on my B sized boobs from when they finally decided to show-up! MY skin is just not good at stretching. Oh well, they fade and there is nothing I can do about it. :)

Hope you have that super-stretchy wonderful skin!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"