October 2011 Moms
Options

Question about feeding LO

Hi there fellow bumpies!

Yesterday was the first day we fed DS cereal. My question is this. How much did you make to feed your LO (how much cereal to BM/formula)? How much did they actually eat? How long did it take? How long until they caught on to what they were supposed to do.

DS will start out opening his mouth, but the most of it dribbles out. Then after a few "bites" he starts crying until I give him a pacifier. Then I try again. Repeat for 30 minutes and then I end up nursing him.

Am I doing this right? Help please.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about feeding LO

• Options
    When we first did it, I used 1 tbl dry cereal to 2 tbl BM. DS did not catch on for about a week or so. Most of it would just fall back out of his mouth. At this point, it's not about getting food in them so much as teaching them to eat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    If you are waiting until a normal feeding he might be frustrated with the solids. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

which cereal are you using?  we use oatmeal and i mix it with either water or BM until it is the right consistency, DS likes it thicker.  i give about 2 TB at breakfast and at dinner with the veggie that we are on (for the 3-5 day wait period).  i don't really measure too precisely, i just mix it.  as soon as DS turns his head--we are done.  then i give him a sippy with water which ends up getting thrown on the floor about 16 times and the little bit of water that he actually gets in his mouth dribbles down onto his bib.

it may just take a few tries for him to get what he is supposed to do with it, i wouldn't force it or stress over it--they all end up eating eventually.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Options

My DS won't take cereal for the life of me. I tried for 2 weeks! He also didn't take peas.

I ended up trying pears with him and it was a success! He has liked sweet potatoes, pears, and peaches so far. He is not interested in the "plain" stuff. 

Your LO may just need to catch on to eating but he may also just not like it. My DS was doing the same thing. Once we moved on to something sweeter he caught right on. Now he dives for the spoon! 

It's odd that my DS doesn't like cereal too because he has been getting rice cereal in his bottle (due to reflux) for months now. Huh?

• Options

We originally tried following the directions on the box, which was 1tbsp of cereal to 3-4 tbsp of liquid, and it was way to liquidy for her liking.  I found out that she preferred it much thicker and we started doing a 1:1 ratio.

She was never to fond of the cereal and the first few times we gave her sweet potatoes she wasn't very interested and would just push most of it back out.  It took about two weeks for her to get interested in it and her favorite has been squash so far.  I have been making her food so it has been 1 ice cube (~1oz) mixed with 15ml of BM and then I add cereal to thicken it back up.  I mix her cereal in with whatever she is getting because I'm using it as an iron supplement.

• Options

We do abuout 1:1 so it is porridg-y. 

She loves cereal. Everything else is unique.  

• Options

imagepearblossom:
    When we first did it, I used 1 tbl dry cereal to 2 tbl BM. DS did not catch on for about a week or so. Most of it would just fall back out of his mouth. At this point, it's not about getting food in them so much as teaching them to eat.

That is what I thought.  Also I am clearly making too much for him to eat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"