1st Trimester
Options

Anyone eat swiss cheese without thinking??

Just wondering if anyone else forgets to check EVERYTHING before you eat it.... I ate one slice before I realized it's not pasteurized...

Re: Anyone eat swiss cheese without thinking??

• Options
    Did it say "unpasteurized" on the label?  Did you buy it in the United States?  If it doesn't say anything about being pasteurized and you bought it at a U.S. store (not a farmer's market), then it IS pasteurized.  I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell unpasteurized dairy products in the U.S.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagePatella1129:
    Did it say "unpasteurized" on the label?  Did you buy it in the United States?  If it doesn't say anything about being pasteurized and you bought it at a U.S. store (not a farmer's market), then it IS pasteurized.  I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell unpasteurized dairy products in the U.S.

Yep, what she said lol  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagePatella1129:

It doesn't actually say unpasteurized, but it is only aged. I looked it up online. Yes, I bought it at Walmart, but it's not pasteurized.

• Options
    The unpasteurized cheese rule only applies to soft cheeses. Unpasteurized hard cheeses (swiss, cheddar, etc.) should be fine, especially if they are aged.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I've never seen unpasteurized swiss cheese in an American grocery store. Are you sure? Usually the first ingredient is pasteurized milk. My dr said any hard cheeses are fine. 

• Options
    sjpsjp member

imagePatella1129:

Nope--

There are TONS of unpasteurized dairy products in the US!

especially as specialty stores and places like Whole Foods--

BFP#1 twins--m/c Baby B-- DC#1 DS 03/22/05 BFP#2 m/c 2006 BFP#3/DC#2 DD 10/22/09 BFP #4! EDD 9/15/12 at 9 dpo BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageHeyJune:

I've never seen unpasteurized swiss cheese in an American grocery store. Are you sure? Usually the first ingredient is pasteurized milk. My dr said any hard cheeses are fine. 

It's Great Value brand. It only says cultured milk. And underneath, it says aged for over 60 days.

• Options

I haven't cut anything out of my diet. I'm just not that concerned, and I'm not going to contribute to the mass hysteria of the pregnancy machine that has women checking every single morsel of food that goes into their mouth.

I don't live in a third-world country and have access to good food. I won't eat anything that I would consider risky even if I wasn't pregnant. Everything in moderation. 

• Options
    These days it seems like any listeria outbreak is associated with produce, not soft cheese, hot dogs, or deli meats.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am loving cheese so much, now I want Swiss cheese.
    Me: 32
    DH: 37
    Married: May 24, 2008
    TTC #2 since: June 2020
  • Options

imagesurprise3rd:
    These days it seems like any listeria outbreak is associated with produce, not soft cheese, hot dogs, or deli meats.

Yes 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I eat Brie thinking the same thing. (Supposed to be a reply to above where she thinks its damn good).
    imageLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

It can actually be kind of hard to find pasteurized cheeses at some speciality stores and if it is imported, forget about it. However, most of these are aged cheeses--like Italian Parmesan. 

Honestly, the cheese factor is perhaps one of the things I am least concerned about. 

snowbaby-1 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I stopped being overly concerned with what I am exposed to when, during my last pregnancy, there was mass hysteria about chapsticks causing miscarriages and deoderant having too much aluminum or some crap.
  • Options
    I have sliced swiss in my fridge, and it's pasterized.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I eat laughing cow's swiss cheese wedges...
  • Options

imageNJbaby2012:
    I eat laughing cow's swiss cheese wedges...

I just devoured 2 wedges...Mmm mmm mmm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LoisLane23,
    I love you and you are my hero!! LOL!
    Oh, and congrats!!
  • Options
    imageLoisLane23:

I eat swiss cheese while thinking "Damn, this is delightful."

BAHAHAHA! Yes

~Those who do not believe in love at first sight have obviously never given birth~ <a href="http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j380/Caitlyn_Blake/?action=view
  • Options

I feel sorry for you. Your baby is going to be born with holes in it now that you ate swiss cheese.

Sucks for you...

• Options
    I've been eating unpasteurized Camembert, and my baby's still alive and kicking. I brought it back with me from France, and I've had a few wheels frozen for almost a year. My OB oked them. 
  • Options
    imageallisonmarie22:

I feel sorry for you. Your baby is going to be born with holes in it now that you ate swiss cheese.

Sucks for you...

She speaks the truth!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"