October 2011 Moms
Options

I just can't handle daycare...

I can't do it.  I took her Tue & Wed and today I kept her home.  I work from home...  I have to discuss options with MH tonight.  I'm thinking part time nanny in my home. 

Anyone else change their mind about childcare now that the time has come?

Re: I just can't handle daycare...

• Options
    I think it is much harder on the Mom than the baby. I had a horrible time the first week that I took my son to daycare, but now he has been going for 6 weeks, and it just becomes a normal part of the routine. He has never seemed to mind being there. They take wonderful care of him there. They make sure he gets lots of tummy time, play time, etc., and as he ages he will have friends at the daycare.  I had no choice but to put him in daycare because I could not get any work done with my son in my office or home.You might want to try to give it a bit more time, but I know it is hard, and you must do what works for you and baby.
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think the nanny is a great idea!  There's no way to actually get work done and attend to your LO.  Some of the best nannies I've known were college-aged women who charged less because they were not "professional."  I'm dreading placing my DD in daycare and working from home is not even an option for me.  I'm hoping to return to work on a part time basis so that I can avoid having her in daycare all week long. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a hard time with it until we went for our "visit day". I feel much more comfortable now after having observed the "teachers" in action for a few hours. They're very good at their jobs and take excellent care of the babys. If you're anxious about daycare in general (and not your specific daycare), a visit day might help ease your mind.
                                   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Another suggestion...if you have flexibility you may want to try just a couple hours per day for the first week and work up full-time over the course of several weeks. That is what I did because it was killing me to drop him off the first few weeks and I was counting the hours until I would be picking him up. Wishing you the best of luck!
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Lauri I haven't been on here in awhile but just wanted to say that Brooke is SOO beautiful!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby #5 due 12.31.15

• Options

We go on our tour on Monday.  DH is home with DD now while he is on leave from work.  I'm nervous about her going to daycare I think I will make especially since it is only 6 minutes away from my job.  I'll probably be sneaking in there during my breaks.  lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have had a nightmare of a week with daycare. 

When I put down my deposit last spring, I was told she would have 5 kids at a time.  The past three days she has had anywhere from 9 to 12 kids in addition to DD.  she is a wonderful lady and I really like her, but I don't know that I feel comfortable with DD being with that many kids and only one provider. 

I spend all day crying thinking about what might be going on.  None of the centers in my area will take an infant part time.  I am trying to find another in home option but I haven't yet.  I am also dreading "firing" this lady because, like I said, I really like her as a person and we have a lot of friends in common. 

I also HATE that I have absolutely no awake time with DD because she is so tired when I pick her up.  I have to wake her up in the morning to feed her (she usually has her eyes closed) before I leave for work.  Then she sleeps when I pick her up until I wake her to do our bedtime routine.  I feel like I am missing out on her life because of work.  I dont know what I am going to do because we cant afford for me to quit, but it is absolutely killing me to have DD in daycare

Married 08/18/07
    BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Listen to those feelings . . . you are completely right to sense and feel daycare's are wrong. I am an Early Childhood Education major, former preschool teacher, former daycare employee. These places are bad for kids. No child should ever have to endure them. Unfortunately our society requires moms to work, and kids to grow up industrialized. One example are diaper changes. At school I am enlightened to learn the diaper changes are oppertunities for bonding and sweet exchanges between caregivers and babies. Now picture this : One woman, five babies. A diaper chart. Each baby must be changed every two hours, the changing table sanitized each time, and the change recorded on the chart. Five kids every two hours in an eight hour day means this woman has changed 20 plus diapers each day. Its not condusive for her to bond and go slowly and sweetly when she has a line of babies waiting their turns. Another aspect is the horrible oppressive pay daycare workers get, they resent there job as  much as they love the kids. Many of the employees at daycares are barely background checked with little to know education and experience. Innapropriate touching is often an issue when collecting groups of kids together with minimal supervision. Yes kids that get molested, tend to molest other kids. It takes one, to affect dozens! If you can keep yours out of the daycare environment , please keep her away from it. These places breed bad habits, illness, and feelings of loneliness in your LO.
  • Options

imagebmxermj12@aol.com:
    Listen to those feelings . . . you are completely right to sense and feel daycare's are wrong. I am an Early Childhood Education major, former preschool teacher, former daycare employee. These places are bad for kids. No child should ever have to endure them. Unfortunately our society requires moms to work, and kids to grow up industrialized. One example are diaper changes. At school I am enlightened to learn the diaper changes are oppertunities for bonding and sweet exchanges between caregivers and babies. Now picture this : One woman, five babies. A diaper chart. Each baby must be changed every two hours, the changing table sanitized each time, and the change recorded on the chart. Five kids every two hours in an eight hour day means this woman has changed 20 plus diapers each day. Its not condusive for her to bond and go slowly and sweetly when she has a line of babies waiting their turns. Another aspect is the horrible oppressive pay daycare workers get, they resent there job as  much as they love the kids. Many of the employees at daycares are barely background checked with little to know education and experience. Innapropriate touching is often an issue when collecting groups of kids together with minimal supervision. Yes kids that get molested, tend to molest other kids. It takes one, to affect dozens! If you can keep yours out of the daycare environment , please keep her away from it. These places breed bad habits, illness, and feelings of loneliness in your LO.

Wow...over generalize and fear monger much?  Yes, you make *some* valid points, however, many of your statements are simply not true (I've bolded some).  There are many safe, happy and wonderful centres and daycare providers out there.  Your post tells me that you are extremely close minded, so this is all I'm going to say on this, as it would be a waste of my time to say anything more. 

To the OP, I'm not back to work yet, so I honestly don't know how you feel.  However, if you are able to try a part time nanny, go for it!  Is there something specific (other than simply leaving your LO, which I can only imagine is very hard) that is bothering you about your current care provider?  Can you address your concerns with your provider?  Or is it simply that you can't stand to leave your LO (which I can understand)?  If it's the latter, than maybe try and stick it out a little longer, or as others have mentioned, maybe try to return to work more slowly so that you can gradually get used to leaving your LO.  Hang in there! 

"God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it" 1 Corinthians 10:13
  • Options

imagebmxermj12@aol.com:

WHOA!  Are you serious?  What do inappropriate touching and molestation have to do with any of this? The daycare I send my LO to is an accredited center with providers who are background checked. Based on the money I pay my center...  I'm pretty sure that they are not making "oppressive" salaries. They are mandated to have a 1 to 4 ratio.  My daycare isn't even at max capacity.

And thanks for making mother's who send their LOs to daycare feel like sh!t.  Nice job.

To everyone else...  We've decided to stick it out and see how things go.  I take her later in the morning and DH picks her up early in the afternoon.  She is there for 6 hours MAX.  Most days 4-5.

We'll see how it goes for one month and reassess.  Perhaps I will work a 4 day week.  We'll see.

• Options

imageRoxanneA:
    Lauri I haven't been on here in awhile but just wanted to say that Brooke is SOO beautiful!

Thank you!  Long time no see. 

Morgan is adorable!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"