Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Cereal and Baby Food

I've been feeding my son baby food and cereal for almost 2 weeks now. My Gyno said it wasn't a problem because of how much he was eating beforehand. If he doesn't have cereal/food, he demands a bottle of formula every hour to every hour and a half. His appetite has been large literally since he was born. I couldn't breastfeed him because I was only producing on one side and it was enough for him.

Is there a problem with that? I've been getting a lot of backlash from people for feeding him food so soon. He's much happier when he gets cereal/food and because of those he sleeps through the night.

We see his doctor on the 12th, but it'll be just about a month since he's been on the food so it's not like they're going to freak out or anything, right? He'll be four months old on the 10th.

Re: Cereal and Baby Food

• Options
    3 months is VERY young to start solids, especially without discussing it with the pedi first. If you are concerned, I would ask your pedi for advice instead of the bump. I am going to guess that most people on here are going to agree that 3 months is very young. Is he sitting almost on his own yet? Your pedi might say it is okay, and if you have been doing it for 2 weeks already I guess it has to be okay. I am not flaming in any way, but I don't think that you will find many people who recommend feeding so early.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My little one is very hungry, too, but we just introduced a little bit of cereal as per the pedi's instructions at 5 months minus 1 week.  I would nurse him all the time, 2 hours was long between feedings - how much formula does your little one drink when he wants it every 1 - 1.5 hours?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The recommendation of the American Academy of Pediactrics is to introduce solids at 6 months. So if your Ped is going by those standards, he or she may have some strong opinions in contrast to yours. Not all do. I would research more about the readiness signs and the effects of solids on a newborn's GI tract. You may think it is helping him sleep but the truth is that a baby's stomach isn't ready for foods that soon. 

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

This site has the best collection of info and links out there on the topic. I hope this information helps you make a well-informed decision regarding your baby's feeding.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"