March 2012 Moms
Options

Why am I oversensitive about name suggestions?

It irritated me to no end when I was pregnant with DD that everyone wanted to rattle off a list of names for me to "yea" or "nay".  Then when I'd share our short list, they'd tell us which they didn't like.  We ended up naming DD what most people didn't like and it was very uncomfortable.  This time, the discussion is between DH and I.  We don't even talk about it around DD.  DD nicknamed LO Baby Roar (no clue why) and it's stuck.  Every time I call her that, people pipe in with "You can't call a child Roar!" or "How about __________?" or "I looked up meanings for ___________."  I'm not an idiot.  I'm not going to name my kid Roar.  And I didn't ask for opinions.  We've made it perfect clear we don't name our babies until we meet them, and believe it is just DH and my decision.  It just infuriates me, and I'm sure I'm being unreasonable.  I don't snap at anyone (except my mom!) about it, and I guess I'm just venting to you.  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Why am I oversensitive about name suggestions?

• Options

We nicknamed our LO "Tomato". People actually asked if that was the baby name we were going with. I kind of did the head tilt at that - of course not

I think the sensitivity may come from a combination of defensiveness ("do you seriously think I am stupid enough to do that??") and frustration because it's your kid and your final word! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I feel the same way!  We got lots of name suggestions over Christmas and I tried to just say 'that sounds nice, we'll put it on the list' and change the subject, but it was driving me nuts.  I am almost LESS likely to pick a name if someone keeps pushing it on me.  There's one name in particular that my sister is obsessed with and I actually do like it, but she keeps bringing it up and it's getting on my nerves, I almost don't want to pick it and then hear her gloat for years about how she picked the name. I also get frustrated when people randomly bash names that we haven't brought up.  What am I supposed to say if we're actually thinking about using that name? Grr. I think it's pregnancy hormones making me irritated with everything.

For the record, I think Roar would be an adorable name, maybe a nickname for Rory :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You're not oversensitive - people just need to get off the topic already and take a hint! It's not up for debate!

Or, perhaps I am also oversensitive. Big Smile It is just so annoying though - and I'm sure we all got a lot of suggestions over the holidays while seeing family.

Alex has arrived! 9 pounds, 21 inches - 3 weeks early on March 2nd ~went natural - very intense. whew!~
  • Options
    It is very annoying and I don't think you are being oversensitive it's other people thinking they actually get to have an opinion what you name your child. I have never been like this ever. I have never told someone their baby name was dumb, or made a suggestion on what I think they should name the baby. The only time I have given my opinion is when I was asked. I just think it is silly and irritating for people to do this. We are keeping our baby's name a secret until she is here just for this reason. Because I don't want to hear the opinions of everyone who doesn't matter. DH and I matter and if we like the name and it fits her, then that's her name. BTW, we have named our baby "baby pink peanut" Mostly because we were calling the baby little peanut before, and now we know she is a girl so it's pink peanut. I even had my mother tell me that peanut doesn't sound feminine enough and maybe we should call her "cashew" Seriously mom? it's her nickname while she is in the womb, wth does it matter what we choose to call her?

DX PCOS in 2000 TTC since April 2010 DX Hypothyroidism 6/2010 Referred to RE 9/2010.

BFP in June 2011, DD born in 2012

Joined the baby train again 8/2013. First month, out due to re-diganosis of Hashimotos.

Sept 2013, 2.5 letrozole and trigger, low progestrone and using supplements = BFN.

Oct 2013 2.5 Letrozole, trigger, and IUI = low progestrone (8.9, using supplements) and BFP 11/6 Beta 26.9, Beta 2 @ 30, Beta 3 @ 25.3, Beta 4 @ 25.2 CP 5w1d

Nov 2013: ? waiting on AF

• Options
    Rory isn't an option :)  I worked for a man named Rory from '98-'06, and DH worked for the same man from '01-'10.  He was a pretty influential person in our lives, but DH's colleagues would never let him live it down if we name our little girl after the man, even if that's not our intention!  I do think it'd be funny though :)
  • Options
    I do the same thing- we quit sharing our name ideas because no one liked the ones we liked, and they kept giving us other ideas.  Have your own baby and name them what you want.  We haven't told our parents our top 2 yet...
  • Options
    Your post is exactly why I am glad my DH and I have made the decision not to share any of our name possibilities....not even the general list of ideas.  I told my FIL this and it seemed to annoy him, but I do not care.  I told him that we do not want anyone's opinions because everyone will have an opinion or a feeling on any name we decide to "leak" to them, and we don't want their feelings to contaminate ours.  After seeming annoyed, he said, "Well, that's OK, we all had our chance to name our babies, you guys should have yours too."  Yes, you're right, we should.  Maybe mine is a very direct approach, but people have quit asking nearly as much because they know where we stand on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"