1st Trimester
Options

Does progesterone make you crazy?

I've been taking progesterone suppositories since I ovulated and I HATE them.  They make me so moody and bitchy.  I'm on twice daily 50 mg.  I recently forgot to take the daytime dose for a couple days and felt so much better I decided to wait and ask the RE today.  He said it's sort of up to me.  He can't guarantee it will be okay, but it might be just fine.  Also, that the majority of the progesterone's job is done.  He said that if it makes me feel better he thinks that's a totally valid excuse.  I've had no spotting or anything but I still feel torn.... 

To clarify, he never tested me for progesterone defficiency (he claimed they can't really?? though I think other women here have been, so that's confusing me...)  I didn't need it with last pregnancy, but I was spotting before my periods so he thought that might be why I couldn't get pregnant.  And first month on it, I got pregnant.  It's just awful stuff though...

Re: Does progesterone make you crazy?

• Options
    Maybe they can't test before pregnancy but at this point blood work should tell your level...
  • Options

From what my Dr said, baby can't make it's own progesterone until around week 12. So I was on them through week 12 to be safe.

My Clomid made me bitchy and moody, but once I was off it, it went away. My progesterone never affected me that way. Not sure if that's a side affect or not.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's interesting how many different answers you'll get.  My doc said at week 9 to 10 the baby has taken over all progesterone (technically the placenta, I think?) but that it gradually increases until that point, so already most of the progesterone is not being produced by the corpus luteum.  I'm not sure I have my anatomical terms right, but anyway.  Progesterone is what gives you PMS, and what makes you moody in early pregnancy.  Maybe if I generally have low levels I just feel it more?  I don't know.
  • Options

imagekarelaorange:
    It's interesting how many different answers you'll get.  My doc said at week 9 to 10 the baby has taken over all progesterone (technically the placenta, I think?) but that it gradually increases until that point, so already most of the progesterone is not being produced by the corpus luteum.  I'm not sure I have my anatomical terms right, but anyway.  Progesterone is what gives you PMS, and what makes you moody in early pregnancy.  Maybe if I generally have low levels I just feel it more?  I don't know.

I was diagnosed with low progesterone which is what caused all my miscarriages. So he may have had me on it longer than neccessary to be safe. Who knows. If he tells you it's safe to go off, then I would trust him since he is a Dr. And especially if you weren't diagnosed with that being a problem anyways. If they didn't check your blood to test your progesterone level, I don't see why they would have even put you on it to begin with.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was put on progesterone cream before I was even pregnant since I was estrogen dominant and I was told that I would not be able to carry a baby without getting my progesterone equal with my estrogen. My progesterone levels were VERY LOW! I have no side effects from it and I use it both morning and night. I was told to stay on my progesterone thru the 1st trimester. I don't want to take the chances of losing this baby, so I am staying on it until I can talk with the dr that prescribed it to me.
    Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"