Natural Birth
Options

What birthing classes have you, or are you taking?

Hello,

I am new to this board and new to this concept. I actually went into this birth thinkng I would definately have an epideral, but after talking to my midwife she convinced me to read Ida May's book and now I am convinced I want everything to be as natural as possible. I am trying to get as much information as possible, and prepare myself. Do you have any suggestions for other books to check out?? Also, I am thinking about taking Bradley Method classes. I have heard great things, and was wondering what you guys have heard of experienced?

Thanks in advance!!

Re: What birthing classes have you, or are you taking?

• Options

I did Hypnobirthing at the recommendation of a friend.  It worked for me with my son.  I used the methods I learned about to relax and stay calm during the process.

I read Ina May's guide, Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake, and Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method by Marie Mongan.  I also took a several week hypnobirthing class with an instructor.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm a FTM but plan on trying to go natural as well. I've heard great things about Bradley classes. We were able to find just a natural birthing course that was really close to us and it involved several different classes that included Natural childbirth in a nutshell, birth partner prep group, waterbirth class, homebirth class (we skipped this one because I don't plan on birthing at home) and a childbirth technologies class. I found it all to be super helpful. I think any knowledge and or tools that you can get to assist you through labor is great.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a FTM and I'm currently taking a hypnobirthing class. I'm also reading Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth and Birthing From Within by Pam England.
  • Options
    I start Bradley next month. We picked it because of the natural birth aspect, of course, but also because I think my husband being involved in the birth as my labor coach will be really good for us, and for our relationship. Not all classes will teach him how to do this at the same time that they are teaching me what I should be doing.
  • Options

I'm almost done with my Bradley classes and I've loved them.  Hubby has learned a ton even though he doesn't read the workbook.  I'm confident that he'll be a good advocate for me during labor.  He really surprised me by speaking up in every class, answering questions, and giving his thoughts on various subjects.  He's been way more involved than I thought he would.  At first he went just to humor me but now he looks forward to the classes as much as I do.  We always leave discussing something that was covered in class. 

I liked Bradley because it really focuses on the dad or other support person being really involved in helping the mom.  My feeling is Hubby was involved in creating this new life, he should be involved in it entering the world.  I also like that it teaches non-medical coping techniques such as positioning, relaxation and focus.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"