1st Trimester

Did anyone else know this?

Has anyone else's doctor not permitted spray tanning?  I went to the tanning salon on Monday and signed a 6 mo committment to a higher level membership to allow unlimited spray tans.  I went in this morning and they ask me to get a permission note from my doctor.  No problem right?  So I go to the dr.'s office and ask for a note.  The nurse practitioner was very nice about it, but she said they couldn't give pregnant ladies permission for even spray tans.  The fumes are too harsh.  She said the booths you walk into do not allow for good enough ventilation.  So I'm in a panic because i just signed that contract committing me to 6 mos.  Luckily it all worked out because she gave me a letter that allowed me to put my contract on hold and if anything happens I cancel anytime with no fee.

But honestly, I had no idea!!!  I know it's been 4 years, but back then everyone I knew that was pregnant was spray tanning.  I haven't known anyone that was pregnant recently so I guess that's why I wasn't aware.  Is this news to anyone else?

Said goodbye to our little angel 12/3/11 Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Did anyone else know this?

• I did not know that but I don't spray or bed tan.  I know having a tan is kinda important to some girls but I will never understand it. not being snarky. 

• I have never done the spray tan, but I would never try it when pregnant... it  just seems like common sense I guess.  I wouldn't do any kind of fake tanning while pregnant personally.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 | DD born July 2012
    BFP #2 | EDD 04.18.14 | D&C 10.01.13 @ 11w3d
    BFP #3 | EDD 09.15.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Also not trying to be snarky, but it would seem like common sense to me that the fumes would be questionable.

I love to have a tan, but the thought of it hasn't crossed my mind since my BFP.

• Yep. I had definitely heard that.

Any time you're exposing yourself to chemicals that can be inhaled or ingested, you risk those chemicals getting into your blood stream and affecting the baby. Tanning chemicals aren't really good for full-grown adults to breathe in, let alone fetuses.

Mama's Clone - 07/18/12

• You can get out of the commitment. Have your ob write a note saying that you have a medical reason. I worked at a tanning salon and we didn't make pregnant women get a dr's note but some salons do.
  • Sorry I didn't see the rest of your post explaining that you already did this. Opps, gonna blame it on the brain! hehe
  • I had no idea!  That totally shocks me.  I would spray tan if I hadn't had a bad expirience with it in the past -- but this is good to know!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well Nat I would say that if I had such a pretty smile and skin as you have I might feel  the same way. 

Some of us aren't so blessed.  But I don't agree that every pregnant woman would consider it common sense that all things we inhale are going to harm our babies.  As I said I know several women (that happen to be well-educated, intelligent women) that spray tanned while they were pregnant. 

And on that note, does that mean we can't use nail polish or nail polish remover, pump gas into the tanks of our cars or anything like that where we would be inhaling harmful fumes?  I'm glad other women have such amazing common sense, but I'm still okay with myself on this one.

Said goodbye to our little angel 12/3/11 Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • What!!! You can't spray tan during pregnancy!!!!!!

image GIFSoup

I think it is logical or common sense to avoid put any unnecessary chemicals on or in your body during pregnancy. I think a lot of people would find tanning in November unnecessary, but if you want to dye your hair every 2 months I think that is fine. Stick out tongue

"Seriously, it’s like we’re the velociraptors at the end of Jurassic Park circling our prey, and then the Bumpie tyrannosaurs come in and tear some **** up. Except instead of killing us, they eat Joseph Mazzello."-GOMI
  • imageMNmomofQ:

What!!! You can't spray tan during pregnancy!!!!!!

image GIFSoup

I think it is logical or common sense to avoid put any unnecessary chemicals on or in your body during pregnancy. I think a lot of people would find tanning in November unnecessary, but if you want to dye your hair every 2 months I think that is fine. Stick out tongue

Yes lol

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageDraba123:
    imageMNmomofQ:

image GIFSoup

Yes lol

OMGeeeeee that is the cutest picture of Gavin ever has his hair always been that blond.

"Seriously, it’s like we’re the velociraptors at the end of Jurassic Park circling our prey, and then the Bumpie tyrannosaurs come in and tear some **** up. Except instead of killing us, they eat Joseph Mazzello."-GOMI
  • OP, FWIW, when I was pregnant the last go-around there were a TON of people talking about getting spray tans on the tri boards. I think it's a "varies by Dr." kind of thing. Especially if your salon is really well ventilated. I guess it doesn't matter so much for you now since your Dr. won't give you a note, but I think some of the other ladies are being overly snarky about this one. 

What does your Dr. have to say about the tanning lotions? That will help to get a little bit of color. My skin looks like crap when I'm super pale too.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMNmomofQ:
    imageDraba123:
    imageMNmomofQ:

image GIFSoup

Yes lol

OMGeeeeee that is the cutest picture of Gavin ever has his hair always been that blond.

Thanks!!  Actually no, his hair started out brown but has gotten lighter over the past couple of months. :)  FIL has blonde blonde hair so I think that's where it's coming from.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagesrhcmt:

Well Nat I would say that if I had such a pretty smile and skin as you have I might feel  the same way. 

Some of us aren't so blessed.  But I don't agree that every pregnant woman would consider it common sense that all things we inhale are going to harm our babies.  As I said I know several women (that happen to be well-educated, intelligent women) that spray tanned while they were pregnant. 

And on that note, does that mean we can't use nail polish or nail polish remover, pump gas into the tanks of our cars or anything like that where we would be inhaling harmful fumes?  I'm glad other women have such amazing common sense, but I'm still okay with myself on this one.

As was mentioned to you previously, it's not so much the fumes so much as it is the ventilation issue. If the tanning booth were well ventilated I'd be less likely to say it was an issue. As long as you don't paint your nails or pump your gas in a closed, confined space it's fine.

Also, there's really no need to get snippy. The ladies in this thread have been REALLY nice to you compared to some other responses I've seen on tanning questions.

• I don't even want to take approved medicines to cure things like headaches. I'm not sure how any Mom would want to inhale a chemical or put one all over their body. I think it's common sense as well. The day your baby was born would you let him go into a spray tanning booth? I bet you wouldn't. That's the way you should make decisions for yourself. Everything you do the baby does right now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I regular bed tanned for only 10 minutes at a time with my first. I was also 19 then and just really wanted to keep my tan. I never continued it in my other pregnancy. I won't do it this time, only because it isn't important to me anymore. My doctor said it is completely okay because the rays do not go further than the skin. Also, the only worry with bed tanning while pregnant is overheating. I was told as long as the fan is on and you don't stay in for more than 10 minutes it was fine. 

I worked at a tanning salon and I took the classes to become certified. I studied every level and they agree, that it doesn't go further than the skin and can't harm the baby.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemwitter80:
    I don't even want to take approved medicines to cure things like headaches. I'm not sure how any Mom would want to inhale a chemical or put one all over their body. I think it's common sense as well. The day your baby was born would you let him go into a spray tanning booth? I bet you wouldn't. That's the way you should make decisions for yourself. Everything you do the baby does right now.

I hate when people use this argument. The day your baby is born, would you give him a salad? No? Then you probably shouldn't eat those now. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesrhcmt:

Well Nat I would say that if I had such a pretty smile and skin as you have I might feel  the same way. 

I had no idea either, don't feel bad! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't know that, but since I'm even staying away from nail salons in first tri (honestly, I couldn't deal with the fumes from a m/s standpoint, forget anything else), I wouldn't spray tan due to the fumes anyway. And I wouldn't tan because of the overheating issues, either.

Do I think any of these things *really* are likely to impact a pregnancy? No. But having had a loss, trust me, if anything goes wrong with a pregnancy -- you want to know you did everything 'right'. I can't picture any of the things that we give up being worth the potential of guilt on the back end. 

BabyFruit Ticker

July 3rd, 2012 ~ Hang in there sweetheart, we can't wait to meet you!

• I think people were being a lil harsh. This is my third pregnancy and I never knew that. I live in Michigan where half of the year people are spray tanning including a lot of pregnant woman. Not every tanning salon asks for a doc note so that doesn't help people understand it could be dangerous! But thanks for the info!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"