September 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone used Paragard? (or Mirena for that matter)

I just went to my 6 week and am leaning toward an IUD, but am still a little nervous about the risks involved: whether it could puncture me inside, come out, whether I'll be able to feel it (though my midwife has already reassured me on all of these points).

I'm looking at the Paragard because of the lack of hormones but thought I'd ask in general about others' experience with IUDs-- favorable?  Not? Any issues?  No interference with sex?  Just want to reassure myself a bit more and hear about any more pros and cons that may be out there.  Thanks sooo much. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone used Paragard? (or Mirena for that matter)

• Options
    I just had the paragaurd inserted last week. I couldn't even feel her put it in. I spotted for a day or two and that was it. So far no problems, it's not uncomfortable and my DH said he can't feel it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I loved my Mirena so much that my midwife jokes that the company should be paying me to be a spokesperson. It's the only birth control I have ever been on that didn't give me serious side effects and/or fail. I had no problems at all. Insertion wasn't all that painful, I never had a problem with feeling it or with DH feeling the string or anything. I highly, highly recommend it to anyone. The paragard is similar, and it's a great option if you don't want hormones. To be honest, one the the selling points for Mirena was the lighter/non-existant periods...mine tended to be very very heavy, long, and frequent (I would often have only one week of the month were I wasn't bleeding. Not fun, and I would get anemic). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I loved my Mirena so much I am getting another one! Insertion hurt a bit, but quickly passed, and then I had severe cramping all that afternoon/night. My uterus doesn't like intruders Stick out tongue  After that first night, I had zero problems, and DH felt the string the first time we had sex, but he said it wasn't enough of an irritant to want to stop. Stick out tongue  I had it removed when we were ready to TTC, and was pregnant two months later. Like PP said, I came from the land of horrid, heavy and painful periods....it was wonderful to have none for a while!
  • Options
    imageamandaloren:
    I just had the paragaurd inserted last week. I couldn't even feel her put it in. I spotted for a day or two and that was it. So far no problems, it's not uncomfortable and my DH said he can't feel it.
    pretty much exactly this. I have had Mirena too though and it made me gain 20lbs in water weight thanks to the hormone in it.. Same as deli shot and known to cause weight gain but their site says only 5% do so I guess I fall in the five percent. Once I removed it I got of in three cycles my period resumed normally (became two weeks of pink spotting with Mirena) aside from weight gain I had no issues with it but I chose paragard this time no hormones and lasts ten years.. So far no issue except heavier discharge which I read can happen. My friend is on her second year of paragard and likes it..
  • Options
    I got Paragard after DS #1 and while I love what it did, it gave me terrible periods, very heavy bleeding and really bad cramps.  This time I will be getting Mirena.  I'm older, so the hormones were the reason I didn't want Mirena last time, but the periods were so bad, that I had it taken out after 9 months.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!!  The heavy periods are another thing that make me hesitant about the Paragard... I've heard before that can happen. :(  But everything else has sounded reassuring so I'm probably going to go with it as my best bet andjust hope that doesn't happen to me.
  • Options

I am having the same debate with myself.

Do I want heavier/more painful periods or bad acne and weight gain and possible coo coo hormonal reaction.

I had a hardtime on BC pills and never could find one that didn't make me a little nutso. I really enjoyed being on the Nuva Ring for the past 3 years ( that is until I got pregnant on it) but while I am BFing I need something w/o estrogen in it.

I gotta make a decision soon because I just can't use condoms ( latex allergy) and I am afraid of putting anything  with "-cide" init's name inside me ( spermacide).

My biggest fear is what if I get one or the other and just can't take it and have to have it removed after such a large financial investment. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"