TTC After a Loss
Options

OPK Mind fvck (bfp mentioned) vent

So... let me start out by saying that I really don't like OPKs... or maybe it's just this particular brand.

This is my first cycle testing and I am still trying to figure all of this out.  I don't know that I am ready yet to go all out and do the temping, charting, etc... but I figured I would try my luck with the whole pee on a stick thing and try to figure out what is going on with my body.  (This is still cycle #1 after my CP, so I am just not sure what to expect).

With a pg test, any line... ANY line no matter how faint is a +.  I know this because I got ripped to shreds on the TTGP board when I questioned whether my barely-there faint smudge was a bfp.  I was looking for a really obvious line... but I guess that's not always the case and, appraently, I was a complete moron for not knowing that.  So now I am conditioned to think that aaaaannnnyyyyy line is a good line.

Well, now I've had a CP and am trying to figure out when I will O (AF came a went early last week)... This cheapie OPK I have (and I know buying a cheapie is 99% of my problem)... says that the line has to be as dark or darker than the control.  Come on... are you really going to make me break out a color wheel and figure this out?  I mean there's a line... it might be a dark as the control... might not.  So annoying.

For those of you that use the line/darker line style OPKs... is it reallllly obvious when your line is darker?  If it is there, but not darker, does that mean that tomorrow will most likely be obviously darker?  Should I just give up on this kind and find a digital or start temping/charting?

Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
Online Garage Sale
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
monica & kevin married 5.28.11
bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: OPK Mind fvck (bfp mentioned) vent

• Options
    I consider it + if the line is either darker or the same color as the control line. Sometimes its difficult but we BD everyday I see a line regardless. It never hurts to BD just in case.
  • Options

Good point.  Some extra BD wouldn't hurt anyway Wink  (although it's difficult with our going on 3 week long house guests... ugh lol)! 

I am just trying to figure out what is going on with my cycle and I feel like my eyes are playing tricks on me.  Line, no line, dark line, dakER line.  I should probably just stick with digital tests.  I need something obvious!  Smile

Online Garage Sale
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you are confused you can always google some images of positive OPKs. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    PGAL/PAL Always Welcome
  • Options

I went through the exact same thing last month.  Thought, I would just try the OPK because I don't have a clue how to temp chart and anyway it was my first cycle so what the hell difference would it make.

I was using the 2 lines and couldn't figure out whether it was positive or not.  Though one day it might have been but then not really.  then all of a sudden there was only 1 line..... so frustrating.  I then went out and got the smiley face digital kind and wasted a whole pack of those ... I either missed the day or didn't O.  I subsequently went out and bought a bunch of early pg tests.  wasted all of those second guessing when the earliest date I could test (10 to 12 days from the day I thought maybe was a sort of dark line).... BFNs all around and then  AF confirmed the results. 

I am going to try the smiley face digital tests again.  Although I didn't go out and buy them yet and probably already missed it.  Lol.... I am temping as well this month, sort of.  

P

EDIT - Oh and I gave DH the box of pg tests and told him not to let me have them until the day my AF is due... so I wont' be such an obsessive moron this month.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Breast Cancer diagnosis 12/01/2010 - Survivor and Cancer free as of 03/22/2011
    BFP#1 04/12/201
    1 - fetal demise - MC 05/28/2011
    BFP#2 10/14/2011 - fetal demise - MC 12/13/2011
    BFP#3 05/30/2012 - fetal demise - MC 07/23/2012
    IVF#1 02/14/2013 - 2 Beautiful Blasts transferred
    BFP#4 02/25/2013 - BFP - MC and ectopic 03/06/2013

IFV#2 07/02/2013 -BFP#5 - 07/07/2013
    1st Beta 07/11/2013 - 483 (9dp5dt) - 2nd Beta 07/13/2013 1006 (11dp5dt)
    1st U/S 07/31/2013 - TWINS! "The Minions"
    IVF#3 BFP#6 09/01/2015 6dp5dt
    1st Beta 09/05/2015 - 105 - 2nd Beta 09/08/2015 335
    1st U/S 09/22/2015 - .......

• Options

OPKs are hard to get a hang of. I use the wondfo brand... they're cheap and they're really good. 

When the OPK line does get darker, it is easier to tell. However, if you have questions, keep a few of the CBE digital OPKs on hand. Then confirm with that. {Which is why I PIAC instead of POAS}.

Or, you can upload your picture on here and show us! I like determining lines.  

BFP#1 {Cashew} - 9.19.09 EDD 5.26.10
    The day you first lay in my arms, you made my life complete.
    Aurora Rose born sleeping at 35w on 4-21-10
    BFP#2 {Almond} - 2.1.11 EDD 10.12.11 C/P 2.11.11

• Options
    Thanks for asking about this. As soon as AF arrives we are TTC and I was thinking about trying OPKs just to get an idea of when I O. Lots of good answers to some of my OPK questions here!
    BFP#1 7/09 DS born 3/30/10 BFP#2 5/11 M/C 6/11 BFP#3 9/11 M/C 10/11 BFP #4 5/20/12 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagewickedsugar:

Nothing wrong with cheap OPKs... I would test 2-3x a day, the line has to be at least as dark as the control line, if not darker, you will notice it. Also, just because you have a positive POK, does not mean you have actually Oed, temping or U/S is the only way to confirm.

What I have done, is when my OPK looks positive, I have cofirmed with a digital.

Genius.  This is what I am going to start doing.  I don't really want to test 2-3x/day... but if I get a result that is questionable, I will test will test with a digital.  I should have thought it would work similar to a pg test.  (duh!)

@babyvdm- glad I'm not the only one who isn't completely sure about this stuff.  Thanks for sharing!  I always feel like an idiot when I have these kinds of questions, but not sure who else to ask.  DH wouldn't have a clue and my friends think we should just be "having fun" and "let it happen naturally"... most of them are also lucky enough to already have a few healthy children.

@cashewsmommy- good idea too.  I will probably start PIAC instead of a stick.  Just in case...

Thanks everyone else for the words of wisdom.   Smile  so helpful!!

Online Garage Sale
  • Options
    imagekevinandmonica2011:
    imagewickedsugar:

Nothing wrong with cheap OPKs... I would test 2-3x a day, the line has to be at least as dark as the control line, if not darker, you will notice it. Also, just because you have a positive POK, does not mean you have actually Oed, temping or U/S is the only way to confirm.

What I have done, is when my OPK looks positive, I have cofirmed with a digital.

Genius.  This is what I am going to start doing.  I don't really want to test 2-3x/day... but if I get a result that is questionable, I will test will test with a digital.  I should have thought it would work similar to a pg test.  (duh!)

@babyvdm- glad I'm not the only one who isn't completely sure about this stuff.  Thanks for sharing!  I always feel like an idiot when I have these kinds of questions, but not sure who else to ask.  DH wouldn't have a clue and my friends think we should just be "having fun" and "let it happen naturally"... most of them are also lucky enough to already have a few healthy children.

@cashewsmommy- good idea too.  I will probably start PIAC instead of a stick.  Just in case...

Just be warned. When you PIAC, you're more apt to keep dipping sticks in! That pee is so inviting.  

BFP#1 {Cashew} - 9.19.09 EDD 5.26.10
    The day you first lay in my arms, you made my life complete.
    Aurora Rose born sleeping at 35w on 4-21-10
    BFP#2 {Almond} - 2.1.11 EDD 10.12.11 C/P 2.11.11

• Options
    imageCashewsMommy:
    imagekevinandmonica2011:
    imagewickedsugar:

Just be warned. When you PIAC, you're more apt to keep dipping sticks in! That pee is so inviting.  

Wrong on so many levels.  lmao.  Love it!!!  I will remember not to dip too many sticks in my inviting pee cup.  Wink

Online Garage Sale
  • Options

I also started using OPK's this cycle. I followed the advice of many ladies on here and used the cheapies twice a day and once I thought I had a positive then I confirmed with a digi and it worked really well. Good luck!

• Options
    I hated using the sticks with just the lines because I was never sure when it was + or not so I switched to the digitals. It's super easy, happy face or no happy face. I like to think that the little smiling face is wishing me luck!
  • Options
    imagewickedsugar:

Yes

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"