November 2011 Moms
Options

Cabbage for sore nipples?

My father of all people told me that putting cabbage leaves in your bra helps relieve the pain from breast feeding.  Anyone ever hear of this?

If it really worked, would you do this and just have nipples that smelled like cabbage?

Re: Cabbage for sore nipples?

• Options

Well your father is semi correct...you can put cabbage in your bra to help relieve your pain when you are trying to dry up.  If you plan on breastfeeding I would not do this as something in the cabbage is supposed to cause your breast milk to dry up.  However if you plan on formula feeding and want some relief from the pain...because it is painful then yes you can do it.

I put cabbage in my bra when we switched over to formula when DS was 6 months old.  You put cabbage in the freezer or fridge to get it cold.  Then poke holes in it.  Finally put it between your breast and a super tight sports bra. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    it only works if you're irish and mix it with potatoes and corned beef...good luck!
    BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're not Irish, but my husband is German...maybe I could do this and make sauerkraut out of the leaves I don't stuff down my bra.
  • Options
    imagevtcnicely:
    We're not Irish, but my husband is German...maybe I could do this and make sauerkraut out of the leaves I don't stuff down my bra.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have heard of this too as a method of drying up milk supply.  It does help with the pain of full breasts caused by the milk not being expelled, but it is because it is eliminating the supply.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Cabbage dries up your milk!! I wouldn't suggest using that unless you want to STOP breastfeeding.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageSarahbear621:

Well your father is semi correct...you can put cabbage in your bra to help relieve your pain when you are trying to dry up.  If you plan on breastfeeding I would not do this as something in the cabbage is supposed to cause your breast milk to dry up.  However if you plan on formula feeding and want some relief from the pain...because it is painful then yes you can do it.

I put cabbage in my bra when we switched over to formula when DS was 6 months old.  You put cabbage in the freezer or fridge to get it cold.  Then poke holes in it.  Finally put it between your breast and a super tight sports bra. 

This

Cabbage does relieve pain and swelling and can even be used for pregnancy edema, but if you want to keep your supply save this tip for when you're weaning

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My friend did this b/c she did not want to B/F. It dried her out so like PP only do it if you are not going to be BF.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Nursery theme!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"