TTC after 35
Options

IVF converted to IUI

Well, went for monitoring today-it's official.  We are no longer doing an IVF cycle, we have been converted to IUI due to not the response RE was looking for.  We will have IUI on Thursday and then again on Friday.  Can someone please explain to me where they put the sperm, and how is it better than TI?  IUI stands for intrauterine insemination right?  Aren't eggs released from ovaries and take days to swim down into uterus?  Not understanding completely, as I've never had this before. 

I'm having a really sucky day today.  Don't feel very confident about this cycle and I'm feeling very down in the dumps about this change in plans.  Also, feel like RE doesn't ask about my input into things.  Have changed REs multiple times this year, and not sure where to go from here.  Just want a RE who understands and respects that we want to cycle-but, only with my eggs and DH sperm.  Not interested in donor eggs or donor embryos.  Why do REs hate to cycle older women?  Feel like their success rates are more important than what we've said that we want as a couple.  Anyone else getting these vibes?

TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome

Re: IVF converted to IUI

• Options

I'm sorry.  That news really stinks.  I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago and it was really tough after going through all the injections and monitoring.  With IUI it shoots the sperm up to the uterus so it is closer when your egg/s release.  Another thing is that they spin the sperm so you are getting only the best and strongest.  I don't really know about TI so I can't compare.

As far as the decision to convert and you not responding, I can totally relate.  I only produced two follicles after 18 days of stims.  They said from looking at the count and combined with my low levels, they knew the IVF wouldn't be successful.  How many follicles did you produce?  Do you know what your levels were?

• Options

Sorry to hear your IVF cycle was cancelled. That stinks.

As far as the IUI procedure, it's realy simple. Your husband gives them a specimen of sperm, which is washed and prepared (takes about 45 minutes for the prep). Then the RE uses a small catheter to inject it into your uterus. It's kind of like getting a PAP test at the GYN. It doesn't hurt really, just a pinch. And it takes less than a minute. My doctor has me lay on my back with my knees up for 10 minutes after. In theory, by injecting it directly into your ute, the sperm has easier access to your egg(s). Both the sperm and eggs are viable for a few days, so either the sperm is waiting there for the egg or vice versa.

I don't know much about IVF yet, so I can't advise you about your RE, but wanted to let you know that IUIs are easy. I've had 2 (I'm in the 2ww after the 2nd one) and a lot of ladies on this board have had a few of them.

GL!

Me = 38, Husband = 31. TTC since 1/10. M/C at 8 wks 5/10. Started trying again 9/10. All tests normal: AMH/MIS, FSH, HSG, SA. Estradoil high. 6/20/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN. 7/17/11 - Clomid+IUI#2=BFN. 2 natural cycles = BFN. 10/6/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFN. 10/31/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#4 = BFN. 11/26/11 - Follistim+Ovidrel+IUI#5 = BFN. IVF#1 - Menopur+Follistim. 2 ET 5/11/12 = BFN.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a total of 4 follicles-ranging from 9-15mm.  They didn't grow as expected over the weekend.  Know that my Estradiol started out low, around 45 after 5 days of stims-jumped up to about 100-2 days later.  Last RE told me they were looking for >150.  Have no idea what Estradiol is today.  Wish that my labs were available online.  Think RE's office doesn't give out these # unless specifically asked.  Might help explain things if I knew more.  I must admit that cycling is becoming tiring for me and our original plan was to cycle until end of 2011.....For me that means two more IVF attempts, as at my clinic you can only cycle every other month.  Hoping that I get BFP with this IUI and I can stop thinking about all this IF related stuff.  Feels so out of my control....and that is becoming very frustrating.  Thinking about finding a clinic that specializes in AMA, if there are any out there.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options

Sorry to hear that your cycle was converted and you are diappointed.  McIrish gave you good information about the IUI, but I will add a few things.  First, ask them about the Trigger Injection.  It's my understanding that it can give your follies a little growth spurt before they release and that would be a good thing.  Second, I don't know what your timing looks like for the IUI, but if you have a few days make sure your husband ejaculates about 2-3 days prior and then holds off until the collection for the IUI.  This will help ensure that you have better sperm available and likely a higher total count.  Additionally, have some BD time after your IUI just in case, either that night or the following day.  It will only up your chances.  I got pregnant via IUI so I am a believer in them, however getting pregnant isn't really my issue staying pregnant is.

Good Luck to you! 

Me: 37 DH: 43 Married 9/2004 TTC since 9/2005 CP Dec 2006 MC June 2008 at 6 weeks MC April 2010 at 9 weeks 50 clomid+IUI 11/2010=BFN 50 clomid+IUI 12/2010=BFP MC Feb 2011 at 7 weeks 8/11 CD3 AFC=24,FSH=6.91,AMH=5.6,E2=47.9, TSH=1.27,8/26 12DPO BFP Alistair Charles "Charlie" was born 5/7 weighing 8lbs, 10oz and 22" was long imageimageimageimage
  • Options

I am so sorry.  My IVF cycle was cancelled on Friday.  For the exact same reasons... my 3 follicles were not growing like he wanted. I took my trigger shot yesterday and had my IUI this morning.  I was on the table for maybe 5 minutes. My husband had 12 million little swimmers.  As we were leaving he asked what the doctor thought and he reassured us that he would not have done it if he did not think it would work.  This really helped me.  I am feeling really good about everything that happened today.

My thoughts are with you- don't give up yet. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagehappywifemomofone:
    I have a total of 4 follicles-ranging from 9-15mm.  They didn't grow as expected over the weekend.  Know that my Estradiol started out low, around 45 after 5 days of stims-jumped up to about 100-2 days later.  Last RE told me they were looking for >150.  Have no idea what Estradiol is today.  Wish that my labs were available online.  Think RE's office doesn't give out these # unless specifically asked.  Might help explain things if I knew more.  I must admit that cycling is becoming tiring for me and our original plan was to cycle until end of 2011.....For me that means two more IVF attempts, as at my clinic you can only cycle every other month.  Hoping that I get BFP with this IUI and I can stop thinking about all this IF related stuff.  Feels so out of my control....and that is becoming very frustrating.  Thinking about finding a clinic that specializes in AMA, if there are any out there.

They will definitely do IVF with four follicles so it must have been the growth rate (which I don't know that much about) or the levels.  I know they said that with my two follicles, I was over 500 which they said was a minimum but still low for only two follicles.  This was after MANY days so I don't really know.  Best of luck to you. I hope the IUI works and you don't have to think about this all anymore.  :) 

• Options

I'm so sorry!  I'm sure you are terribly disappointed. I'll just add a couple of things since you already got great input. The washing of the sperm will only select the best ones. And it cleanses them from the seminal fluid. By injecting the sperm into the uterus the cervix is bypassed. Apparently manuevering through the cervix and cervical mucous can be difficult for sperm so they eliminate that roadblock. I've had two IUI's. One was amazingly painful and the second was amazingly easy. The second time around the nurse was more skilled but I also had my bladder almost full, which helps to flatten out the cervix (all cervixes are curvy).

As for your RE, while they do care about their stats (from the business side of things), their job is to get your pregnant. I think in their mind they have to offer up alternatives so they feel like they are presenting all the options, and also accomplishing what you've hired them to do. I'm sure that doesnt exactly help the matter but just my thoughts on why s/he might be that way.

Best of luck in your IUI!

• Options
    Thanks for all the insight information about IUI.  Yes, I know that my RE has the expertise-but I also know that DH and I are NOT interested in DE.  We know that our chances go up significantly, but we cannot rationalize the donor fees associated-nor the time committment involved.  I am not interested in having children at 44 or 45.  We have decided that we are going to stop TTC at the end of this year-and things are getting very down to the wire.  Sometimes I think this TTC year of our lives has taken on a life of it's own.  Glad to hear that Mrs. Fuel had good IUI experience today-and I hope that I have such a good experience.  Had a friend of DH and I that had IUI recently, they are expecting their results at the end of this week.  Hoping that they get a BFP, as I think that that will help me feel more comfortable with the whole process.  It's hard when you are geared and psyched for IVF.
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear this.  We have had a terrible string of conversions to
    IUI on this board lately!  Not comforting at all since I just started my ivf cycle. GL on your IUI-- but hopefully you can get some answers from a new RE or an explanation from your current doc.  Sorry:-(

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options

If the IUI doesn't work, I definitely think you should seek another RE's advice. Everyone has their biases and I suspect there is just as much art to this as science. Maybe consult with a few and ask them how they would change things up for you. Maybe try a clinic with higher percentages of "multiple factors" or "diminished ovarian reserve" per the SART data? Even if they have lower success rates, they might have better success with more difficult situations.

Crossing my fingers for you.

• Options

great advice given already by the iui veterans.  it is a simple procedure. no pain. possible mild cramping a few minutes after the catheter is taken out. takes a couple minutes to do.  then rest that day and back to  normal the next day.

good luck!! keep us posted

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"