3rd Trimester
Options

2cm, 20% effaced at 36 wks?

Is that normal? My doctor says everyone is different, and maybe the baby will come early. (Due July 5)  Anyone else have similar experiences? How long can I be dilated without going into labor?

Also, anyone else feel like their belly has gotten SMALLER?? I think the baby has dropped and thats why it seems smaller. Is that happening to anyone else or am I a freak?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image. image. image

Re: 2cm, 20% effaced at 36 wks?

• Options
    You can be dilated for quite awhile without going into active labor.  With DD#1, I was at 2cm at my 36 week appointment.  I didn't have her for another 2 1/2 weeks, when I was induced.

• Options

I was 2cm and 70% effaced at 37 weeks (that's when my OB starts internals).  Guess what, at 40 weeks I had only progressed to 3cm and 90% effaced.  I know from my 35 week growth u/s that I had already started effacing at that point.

It doesn't mean you will or won't go into labor anytime soon.  Just be thankful you have made any progress on your own.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    thats too bad bc im really hoping to go early! haha.... :( I'm miserable. He has dropped, and my back is killing meeeeeeee
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image. image. image
  • Options
    You never know how it will happen for you, especially with your first.  With my second I was 4cm and 80% at 35 weeks and stayed that way even though I was having contractions every day (and had them for 9 hours one day).  I had her at 39 weeks exactly after I had my membranes stripped.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've been 1cm, 30% effaced for almost 3 weeks--- apparently it doesn't mean much time wise.
  • Options
    With my son, I was dilated to 3 and 90% effaced from 34 weeks on. He was born at 36 weeks 1 day and was healthy. I am currently 34 weeks 6 days and I am dilated to a loose 1 - maybe 2 and 80 % effaced. Dr thinks this one will come at 36 weeks like the others. You can stay that way for weeks and even go over your due date! :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    totally lurking here, but at my 35 week appt i was 1cm and 50% effaced. later that evening my water broke and dd was born three hours later. 
  • Options

at my 36 week appt I was- 1cm 80 percent and -2 station

37 weeks - 2 cm 80 percent , and -1

Everyone is different. You can be closed and not at all effaced...and go into labor! Or you can be at 3cm for weeks.

Im not holding my breath...but I think it is fun to see and note the progress (I really want a vaginal birth) ..so im hopeful that my body is doing what it is supposed to

• Options
    Here is my experience. I was 2cm and 50% at 37w... 38w, 39w AND 40w. It means nothing. The baby could come next week or next month. I didn't go into labor until 40w5d and even after 12 hours of active labor (contractions 3 minutes apart) I was only 4cm dilated. DS was born at 40w6d.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"