Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

If your LO does not drink water....

What do you give them to keep hydrated in the summer? What is a healthy juice or alternative? Anyone give Vitamin Water or Gatorade (watered down)?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers,Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If your LO does not drink water....

• Options
    imagehille12:

What do you give them to keep hydrated in the summer? What is a healthy juice or alternative? Anyone give Vitamin Water or Gatorade (watered down)?

Pedialyte all the way. Vitamin water & gatorade are loaded with sugar! 

• Options
    hille12hille12 member
    imageRubineLime:
    imagehille12:

Do you water down the Pedialyte?  Are all those electrolytes ok for them that regularly?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers,Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagehille12:
    imageRubineLime:
    imagehille12:

Do you water down the Pedialyte?  Are all those electrolytes ok for them that regularly?

No Pedialyte is not meant to be watered down. She will maybe drink 10-16oz per day in the summer. Doc said its perfectly fine even to have everyday just to keep hydrated. 

• Options

Pedialyte is not meant to be drinken daily, and beyond that, it's full of artificial sweeteners. I wouldn't give it for daily drinking. That's worse than juice IMO. I also would not give gatorade or vitamin water (vitamin water is the best of the ones you listed, though).

I had a kid who didn't like water. 1 day of refusing to give her anything besides water, and she started drinking water. Now I can keep juice in the house and keep it as an occasional drink. Only offer water, and they'll take it. They're not going to willingly die of thirst, I promise.

• Options
    imageghm:

Pedialyte is not meant to be drinken daily, and beyond that, it's full of artificial sweeteners. I wouldn't give it for daily drinking. That's worse than juice IMO. I also would not give gatorade or vitamin water (vitamin water is the best of the ones you listed, though).

I had a kid who didn't like water. 1 day of refusing to give her anything besides water, and she started drinking water. Now I can keep juice in the house and keep it as an occasional drink. Only offer water, and they'll take it. They're not going to willingly die of thirst, I promise.

This.  We usually fill the 1st cup of the day with about 1/3-1/2 juice & the rest water.  Once it's gone, she gets refilled with water.  After a few days, she got used to it & drinks plenty now.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We just really water down his juice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We dilute DS1 juice with water big time and he is well aware of it and tells you to put water in his cup before getting juice.  It helps that I drink mineral water with a splash of juice in it so he thinks that is the only way to drink juice.  He will drink just water with ice cubes and a straw.  HTH
  • Options
    why not just insist on water? 
    2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Yesterday I filled DSs sippy with 3/4 water and 1/4 of juice to the top.  He didn't think any different of it.
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Hi,

My daughter loves water now, however, she asks for chocolate milk more than anything!  I make sure she gets enough water by making it fun.  You can freeze 100% juice into ice cubes so they are colorful (naturally not with anything artificial) and put it in a sippy cup so they don't get to the cubes. this allows them to get more water than anything and then a little bit of fruit juice.  If she really doesn't want water that day I have her eat Watermelon and other juicy fruits. Fruit has more fiber and nutrients than juice and it hydrates.   I kind of make it so that water is the only option.  If they are thirsty they will drink it.  It is to the point now where I may even offer her some juice and she simply says "no, Just water".  :)   Good luck! :)

• Options
    Diluted juice - apple, cranberry, lemonade, orange, whatever I have on hand.  Sometimes a splash of coke or sprite w/ water too.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"