Cloth Diapering
Options

GMD newborn prefolds...which covers?

Hi ladies! I've been following this board for a few months now, doing research on which CDs to use.

I think I've decided on GMD newborn prefolds with covers. I'm planning on ordering 24 orange edge prefolds and 10 orange workhorse fitteds with snaps. Which covers would you recommend I use? I probably need about 5, correct?

We'll probably use a combination of Best Bottom and BG 4.0 one-size for after the newborn stage. My only concern is the microfiber retaining odors. Does anyone use oxyclean on occasion to get rid of the smell, or is that a no-no with cloth diapers?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Be the change you wish to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: GMD newborn prefolds...which covers?

• Options
    I loved thirsties brand size XS when DS was a newborn. 
    We said "I Do" on 9/27/2008!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Proraps also work well for the newborn phase.  My LO was born 7 lbs 4 oz and she didn't fit into Proraps for several weeks and didn't fit into thirsties for even a bit longer than that.  Proraps also have a nice notch out for the cord.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageckettenb:
    I loved thirsties brand size XS when DS was a newborn. 

Same here - they worked so well! 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love the Thirsties too, the bummi's super brites work good as well, but nothing was as good as the knitted covers my friend made for me.. they were my fav to use when he was a newborn
  • Options
    imageJosephsSweetie:

We'll probably use a combination of Best Bottom and BG 4.0 one-size for after the newborn stage. My only concern is the microfiber retaining odors. Does anyone use oxyclean on occasion to get rid of the smell, or is that a no-no with cloth diapers?

My BG's developed the stinkies and I recently did a regular wash and then just took the MF inserts by themselves and did another wash with bleach and did two rinses to make sure the bleach was out. 

No more stinkies... for now

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I used thirsties duo size 1, on smallest setting, thirsties x-small, and snugglebees small fleece (but they don't make that one anymore Sad)

Synthetic fabrics (like microfiber) do retain odors...I don't use them. 100% cotton prefolds and covers here, and never, ever had a blowout or smell issue.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My girls are currently using preemie prefolds (since about 5lbs and they are now 7.5lbs) and the only covers that fit them under 7lbs are litewrap preemies. The Bummi Super Brights are just now fitting perfectly. The Thirsties one size fits ok snapped all the way down, but the XSmall is still huge. I also have a few Bummi's super whisper wraps and they just now what I'd call fitting. If I use a fitted diaper (KL0) on them, the larger covers fit better (but create huge fluffy butt).

There have been days I've gone through 6-8 covers and days they make it through with 2. I have 12-14 total and feel that's a good number for 2 babies and wash every other day so 5-6 should be fine if you don't mind reusing/airdrying even if a little pee gets on the gussets.

I feel like I bought every single cover out there so let me know if you want more details on any of them!

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"