December 2010 Moms
Options

Are you still asking visitors to wash hands?

I feel like I am being neurotic, but I am still asking visitors to wash their hands before holding my LO.  For how much longer should I be asking visitors to do this?

Re: Are you still asking visitors to wash hands?

• Options
    Until you can assume that they're washing them regularly on their own (ie after using the bathroom). I don't have a problem asking people to wash their hands and C is almost 4 months old. It's flu season and most people just don't have good hand hygiene!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options

I still ask people to do it. Luckily, most people that come to visit have brains in their heads and do it without being asked. Others, such as my SIL and her kids, still have to be asked. And they are ignorant enough to say "I don't have to wash my hands, they are clean!" when we do ask them. Really? Because I'm pretty sure I just saw you smoking a cig outside and shoving your hands in the filthy snow. Ugh. 

Anyway, I think it is perfectly fine to ask people to wash up. Your baby, your house, your rules. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've become a little more relaxed about it but most people either wash them before anyhow because they know I was a freak about it before or just won't hold her if they can't wash them. I'm ok with not washing sometimes if I know the person is on the cleanly side and if they don't touch her face and hands.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageOhSewCrafty:
    Until you can assume that they're washing them regularly on their own (ie after using the bathroom). I don't have a problem asking people to wash their hands and C is almost 4 months old. It's flu season and most people just don't have good hand hygiene!

Everyone that is around LO on the regular is accustomed to washing their hands before they touch him. I was vigilant at first, but now they do it on their own. People are nasty, so keep telling visitors to wash if you have to. 

• Options
    We have like 3 bottles of sanitizer in each room so when people are sitting there giving me the "ok can I hold him now?" look I normally say, "hey, there's a bottle of sanitizer if you'd like to hold him" if they don't do it on their own. I still think it's good to do during flu season, even if he is bigger now, I'd still like to take that little step if it could help prevent him from getting sick.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Also, when we're out and about, I keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer tucked next to him in his car seat on top of his blanket. People notice it as they go in to touch him and actually back off or ask to use some. Obviously, as he gets older and notices/tries to eat it, I'll have to move it, but for now it works like a charm!!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options
    I still do it.  I'll probably keep asking people until we get through the worst of cold/flu season, so maybe early spring.
  • Options
    Every room in our house has hand sanitizer and we make people use it.  Family gets offended but oh well, that's life!  It's flu season and I don't want my baby getting sick.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"