Breastfeeding
Options

Bf'ing past the first year...

I am rolling into the 15 month of bf'ing. My DS shows no sign of weaning, he has been eating table food better. I am worried if I don't begin to wean him more now, that he will protest in the coming months. I am a full-time student and plan on transfering to this LPN program which consists of class for 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I have never been away from my sweetness for more than 5 hours, with two overnight seperations. Which were tough. I think I am more or less being engorged...I find it highly uncomfortable. He nurses 2-3 times at night, 2-3 days during the day. He sometimes tugs or lifts my shirt. I need advice on how to wean and how to ease engorgement!

Re: Bf'ing past the first year...

• Options

imagechrissay185:
    I am rolling into the 15 month of bf'ing. My DS shows no sign of weaning, he has been eating table food better. I am worried if I don't begin to wean him more now, that he will protest in the coming months. I am a full-time student and plan on transfering to this LPN program which consists of class for 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I have never been away from my sweetness for more than 5 hours, with two overnight seperations. Which were tough. I think I am more or less being engorged...I find it highly uncomfortable. He nurses 2-3 times at night, 2-3 days during the day. He sometimes tugs or lifts my shirt. I need advice on how to wean and how to ease engorgement!

Not sure how to wean but a pump will certainly help ease the engorgement. You may want to make sure you take pumping breaks around the same time he nurses at home. Good luck and congratulations on going over a year! What an accomplishment! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

no real need to wean just nurse your baby when you are home and don't when your not pump and freeze or pump and dump for comfort when you are away from your baby

but when i did wean my son i started wearing baggy shapeless clothes around him and i stopped pumping at work so my supply went  down over time

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I weaned DS from day feedings at one year and switched to cows milk.  I continued to nurse 3-4 times but haven't pumped since then.  I gradually stopped the 2 daytime sessions.  This past week I cut out the afternoon session which used to be when I got home from work. He is now down to morning and night and I have not had any engorgement issues.  Try to drop one session at a time.

I also would not recommend pumping if you are trying to wean.  It may just stimulate supply.  Gradually dropping one session at a time should help avoid engorgement.

And good luck with your program!  Nursing is a great field (I'm a nurse practitioner and really enjoy it). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"