Breastfeeding
Options

Dehydration?! Scared

I have been trying so hard to drink tons of water and yet I feel like I'm dehydrated. I'm excessively thirsty and I feel like I can't drink enough. My lips are chapped, throat is dry and I have had a massive headache for 2 days. My milk supply is great still but I'm worried about this. Is it normally to be incredibly thirsty while breastfeeding? Should I just drink a ton and see if I can "undehydrate" myself or do I need to call my dr?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dehydration?! Scared

• Options
    At 6 days pp you're losing tons of water gradually right now.  My best advice is to keep a full water bottle at your side all the time.  I couldn't even tell you how much water I drank the first three weeks, it seemed like every time I turned around I had to refill that bottle.  And I would always drink a whole bottle's worth during a feeding.  Don't worry, you'll level out :)  The headache could be just hormonal fluxes too, it'll take some time for your body to get back in sync.
  • Options
    Ditto pp - every time you feed LO drink at least 12 ounces of water, and keep drinking constantly. I felt thirsty ALL the time...I think I even woke up to get drinks during the night (not when LO was up). It gets better for sure, but I still get REALLY thirsty if I don't drink enough, to the point where it's all I can think about is getting some water.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    YES! I drank SO much water in the beginning. As in, the huge pitcher the hospital gave me (32oz I think), I would drink one of those every single nursing session when he was that age. It was slightly ridiculous, but it does get better. Just keep drinking for now.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options

Completely normal, especially 6 days PP.  I kept the huge cup the hospital gave me, next to me at all times filled with ice water.  I probably filled it up 10 times a day.  I had the most intense thirst of my life.  At times it was so bad I would feel dizzy and felt like I couldn't drink enough water to save my life.  I also got headaches that I am pretty sure were from thirst.

I still have intense thirst sometimes.  I will be nursing and all I can think about is drinking a huge cold glass of water.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So glad to hear its normal! Thanks guys.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"