South Carolina Babies
Options

NBR--things to do in Charleston

Hey, SC ladies... popping over from the NC board... Big Smile

DH and I are taking a long weekend trip (without DD) to Charleston in October. Do you have any can't-miss recs of things to do, places to eat, etc? Are there any tours that are especially cool? Are the ghost tours completely hokey?

Also, any places we should avoid, restaurants that aren't worth the hype, etc? We're planning to stay at the Doubletree right near the Market..

TIA!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

Re: NBR--things to do in Charleston

• Options
    Hey! Charleston is so much fun! there are tons of great places to eat down there and fun things to do. As far as the tours go the ghost tours are fun but my favorite so far is called "The Dark Side of Charleston" it is more about the history of slavery and prostitution and has amazing stories about the town. The carriage rides are fun too. You can also hit up the beaches folly beach is nice. As far as other things to do the market is fun and so it going to some of the old plantations and touring those.
    As far as food goes Hyman's seafood is really good they give you boiled peanuts for an appitizer instead of rolls, if you go to mt. pleasant you can eat at Shem Creek bar and grill it is amazing I love the Charleston Chicken entree, and if you go to folly beach you can eat at a place called Terrapin Cafe it was delicious and you have to get their crab dip. Hope you have a great time! My husband and I are going back down the 1st weekend in october for our anniversary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The Ghost Hunt is a good tour too, Adults only, 'cause sometimes a baby stroller can really take away from any tour... although we love them :)  Great spots in town to try: Oak, Pan e Vino, Market Pavillion (for a cocktail on the roof, great view), weather is starting to cool off, so bring some walking shoes and enjoy the downtown scenery.  You can always take a Bike Taxi when you get tired.  Have Fun!  I you need a good B&B I stayed at one in the center of town with their own kitchen.  Middletonbandb.net
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I must second the Hyman's Seafood restuarant!
  • Options

Hyman's is completely overrated, and a tourist trap.  I am embarrassed that locals recommend it, especially with DELICIOUS places like Coast, Hominy Grill, Boulevard Diner, Hank's seafood (right beside the doubletree, ala carte and out of this world...).  Taco Boy and Juanita Greenbergs are two restaurants good for a margarita and a relaxed meal.

Best beach is Sullivan's Island.  Best Restaurant on Sullivan's is Poe's Tavern.  Come in off the beach for a great burger and drink.

Carriage ride tours are fun for history of SC.  Walks along the battery, waterfront park, white point gardens, longitude alley... 

I am so envious.  Great city.  Used to live there, and went back to vacation with LO last month... not the same with a kid.  Live it up for me. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I definitely agree with KatieAnne's post!  Do not go to Hyman's.  There are soooo many other great restaurants downtown and in the surrounding areas.  Blossom is really good, along with Social and High Cotton.  One of my favorites, especially for seafood, is The Wreck.  It's hard to find, located in an old boatyard in Mt. Pleasant, but it is fantastic seafood.  It's not fancy by any means (plastic chairs and tables, paper plates) but it has beautiful views and it's just a fun atmosphere.  I really like the beach at Sullivan's Island too.  Poe's is a must. They have awesome fish tacos and burgers.  Isle of Palms beach is nice as well.  They have volleyball nets set up most of the time and a few little shops and restaurants like coconut joe's, ben and jerry's etc.  kinda touristy though... Have a good time on your vacation!!  If you have any other questions just ask! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"