New York Babies
Options

Car Seat Home from Hospital

So, how does this whole car seat thing work?

I mean, do you bring the car seat with you to the delivery room? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but where I am from it wouldn't even BE a question...you would just put it in the car, so that when you drove to the hospital it was there.

Also, I am worried about putting the car seat in the cab properly because everything I read tells me to practice since I won't get it right on the first try.

Re: Car Seat Home from Hospital

• Options

When we had LO (in Oregon) we had the car seat in our car for like a month before she was born (just in case) .. I just had DH bring it up to the recovery room right before we left.  In Oregon it's a law that a baby has to leave the hospital in a car seat, either a carrier car seat or a hospital person has to see your convertible car seat in your car.

As far as cabs go.. the carrier car seats are pretty simple to strap in using the shoulder/lap belt in the cab, and I'd like to hope that the cabbies have some knowledge of how to do it.. But it might not hurt to just spend a few bucks to take a cab with the car seat in it before baby is born, just to test it out :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've heard of people just putting the baby in the car seat to leave the hospital (because it's hospital policy), then taking the baby out to either carry him/her home, or put the car seat in the stroller and roll home. Some people will get a friend/parent who has a car to pick them up, get a zip car, or else just use a shoulder strap in a cab. The weird thing is taxi cabs are exempt from car seat laws.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemolliiieee:
    I've heard of people just putting the baby in the car seat to leave the hospital (because it's hospital policy), then taking the baby out to either carry him/her home, or put the car seat in the stroller and roll home. Some people will get a friend/parent who has a car to pick them up, get a zip car, or else just use a shoulder strap in a cab. The weird thing is taxi cabs are exempt from car seat laws.

oh man, I can not IMAGINE riding in a cab with my 2 day old baby... now she's 6 months so if we have to take a cab then we will w/out a car seat.. but not 2 days old :(

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Can you use a car service rather than a yellow cab? That way you can call in advance and ask if they know how to put in the seat, etc. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we took zip car & brought the car seat up to the hospital room and then carried him down w/ the car seat. It was really easy to set up our car seat (graco snugride)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagedelg23:
    we took zip car & brought the car seat up to the hospital room and then carried him down w/ the car seat. It was really easy to set up our car seat (graco snugride)

Delg23 - Did you set up your graco snugride in the zip car with the base?  I was also thinking about renting a zip car.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

we just put our car seat without the base in the cab and wedged it up against the partition cos there really isn't a lot of room. We strapped it in with the seat belt and then both of us just held it tight. Luckily the Cabbie drove very calmly after picking us up outside the hospital.

Some friends we made in our lamaze class used a kiddie car service that comes with a car seat to take them home. https://www.kidcarny.com They had a smooth ride home and would recommend them. I personally wasn't comfortable putting my newborn in a carseat that who knows when or how it had been cleaned but that was my own insecurity.

Also, I got stuck in hospital for a few days longer than I had planned and litterally was given the OK to go home about 2 hours before walking out the door so zip car wouldn't have worked for me because we were waiting for the clearance.

Cab really was easy and cheaper than a zipcar cos all you want to do is be home as a family when you bring baby home. The last this you want to do is have to return a car... I'm just saying it's one less thing for you to have to deal with.

good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"